Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reduced neck milling tools and collisions

Good morning, I am using the very last version of NX (9.0.3.4 mp02).

I noted a problem with collision verify that can be an idea for the next versions.

In the real workshop, milling tools (non indexable), are available in 2 versions.

- milling tools that have a cutting part (flute length) and a non cutting part (the neck) exactly the same diameter. Usually I define this kind of tool in yellow and grey parts only (ad example 12mm diameter flute, 26 flute lenght with 12mm diameter neck, total lenght 83mm).

- milling tools that have a cutting part (flute length), reduced diameter neck and normal diameter secondary neck, fixed in the tool holder. Usually I define this kind of tool in yellow, grey (reduced neck) and green parts (same diameter). Ad example 12mm flute diameter, 26mm flute lenght, 11mm diameter neck, total lenght 37, second neck 12mm diameter and 46mm lenght). You can not set 11mm for the diameter of the first neck.

When you rough a 2D part and finally finish a wall, if you use the type 1 tool, you will can not use it on the grey part or you will damage the workpiece, does not matter if in only one Z pass or more. The grey neck doen't cut, it will scratch the wall and probably the tool will breack.

If you use the type 2 tool, you can use it on the grey neck too, so the wall can be 37mm, but the Z passes can not exceed 26mm flute lenght. If you use 2 Z passes of 18mm, it will be OK.

I see that for the 3D simulation there are not differences between the 2 types of tools. You have not collision messages if you use both the tools to finish a 36mm wall in 2 Z passes of 18mm.

I tried it using 2D operations and 3D milling contour operation.

If I use the same tools to do a HOLE MILLING instead, using helicoidal motion, the simulation will give collision whenever the grey neck enter in the part. If the tool is type 1 it is right, but if the tool is the type 2, it's not right.

In the past version the problem was the opposite, the grey neck gave always collision, so to solve that problem, I used T_CUTTER template to define the reduced neck non indexable tools.

The same with indexable milling tools. In the real workshop, the part where you fix the cutting inserts has always a more little diameter and will not give in collision during a hole milling operation.

Now, NX is changed and the specific operations for T_CUTTER tools will cause a new problem. Using end mill tools defined as T_Cutter for normal 2D operation, like FLOOR_WALL, will cause a problem in ISV (CSE) simulation.

What about to create a new milling tool family (reduced neck non indexable) or simply add the tool neck diameter field to the non_indexable and indexable milling tools and change the collision control to give the error when the grey neck touch the part at 0 distance, maybe with a settable tolerance (minimum 0,1mm distance)??

6 REPLIES

Re: Reduced neck milling tools and collisions

Unless I read that wrong can't you set it the following

Tool Dia = 12
Flute length = 26
Length = 26
Neck Dia = 11
Neck Length = 11

Then define the 12mm shank in "holder". It should pick up the holder collision.
NX11.0.1

Since NX8 it is best to define the shank on the shank tab and only real holder sections on the holder tab.

This gives you a better representation of the tool as well.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Yes, I like more define the shank on the shank tab. Unfortunately the grey neck can't have a different diameter, if you don't use T_Cutter tool tab.

I understood yesterday, that it's mandatory assign a tool compensation number in the trackpoint tab, if not ISV will don't understand the lenght of the tool.

[ Edited ]

The gray and yellow are both part of the tool body - the gray is the neck and the yellow represents the flute length.

To define a tool with a reduced neck, either use the shank diameter, or define it as a T-cutter.

Note that in most places, you can define a different clearance for the tool holder, shank, and neck. So for a reduced neck tool, you can define it straight, and specify the tool clearance = 0. Then the tool will not report a collision if the gray part of the tool touches the part.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Yes, Mark.

Last versions of NX give not anymore strange collision with the grey neck. The only operation that give me wrong collision now is hole_milling operation only if you mill a hole from the blank, using helicoidal motions deeper that flute lenght. When the grey neck enter in the ipw, I receive a collision message, but in the real world I will not have it because the neck is reduced.

Using helicoidal+spiral I don't have the message anymore.

Perfection_Lab wrote:

Yes, Mark.

Last versions of NX give not anymore strange collision with the grey neck. The only operation that give me wrong collision now is hole_milling operation only if you mill a hole from the blank, using helicoidal motions deeper that flute lenght. When the grey neck enter in the ipw, I receive a collision message, but in the real world I will not have it because the neck is reduced.

Using helicoidal+spiral I don't have the message anymore.

We just tried this in 9.0.3-MP2 in hole milling with helical cut, a neck clearance of 0, and the flute shorter than the depth, and we are not getting a collision/gouge.

I you get a gouge or collision reported, please log a call with GTAC.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information