cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming tool library causing old programs to alarm.

Pioneer
Pioneer

We are starting to phase in WinTool for tool management.

When you import a tool from WinTool into NX it clears out the default NX tool library (this is meant to happen.)

However, we want to phase in WinTool as we gradually build our library up.

So, instead of our NX Preferences using the metric tool_database.dat  file I have copied the original and renamed it tool_database2.dat.

I have pointed the tcl file here -

set fname ""
   set fname [append fname $env_var "tool_database2.dat"]

return $fname

However, this is good moving forward, but if I open an old program in NX and double click a tool or choose "EDIT" NX gives me a MOM:TCL Interpreter alarm?

The Manufacturing Operation must record where the tool library was? Now it won't let me edit these tools. I have tried updating from library but this does not make any difference.

Any ideas?

12 REPLIES

Re: Renaming tool library causing old programs to alarm.

The system looks at the NX environment to determine the current tool library dbc (data base connection). In your syslog, you will see several variables defined:

UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_ASCII_DIR  d:\users\rief\nx11\resource\library\tool\ascii\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_GENIUS_DIR d:\users\rief\nx11\resource\library\tool\genius\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_INCLASS_DIR d:\users\rief\nx11\resource\library\tool\inclass\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_ENGLISH_DIR d:\users\rief\nx11\resource\library\tool\english\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_METRIC_DIR d:\users\rief\nx11\resource\library\tool\metric\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_GRAPHICS_PATH d:\users\rief\nx11\resource\library\tool\graphics\

If you want multiple libraries, you could do it by having multiple configurations, so the user would change the configuration (e.g. cam_general.dat) to point to a different dbc.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Mark.

I managed to resolve the issue myself; the alarm was caused because I had only created the new tool library in the METRIC CAM folder, it needs to be mirrored in ENGLISH folder for it to function from the tcl script, even if only using a METRIC environment.

Pioneer
Pioneer

However, I have further issues.

I have created custom tool libraries now which are replicas of the default libraries but renamed. They are also in the same folder.

I can read tools from the library, but now I can not write - tools or holders. I get "MOM_TCL User chose to abort" when trying to write an NX created tool back to the library.

As soon as I point the CAM Preference back the default library the function is okay again?

Both libraries are in the same folder with the same Windows permissions "Everyone - Full control"??

Any ideas anyone?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When you get mom tcl errors, first place I would look is the syslog.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Are there any differences in the data formats? If so, did you update the export tcl?

If you want multiple libraries, I recommend you clone the entire resource\library\tool folder. Do not attempt to access multiple .dat files using the same tcl and def files. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

Mark,

I traced the error down to our tool libraries; the tool parameters were different due to the libraries not being updated as we progressed through our Globally agreed versions of NX over the years.

We are currently on NX8.5 and I have been informed that when we went from NX6 the tool libraries were not updated. Now various Configurations point to tool data libraries that are not in the most up to date formats.

I have had to go through the .dat files and asisgn the tool parameters into the correct fields - very time consuming and a bit of a headache.

So, the question is, when we move to NX11 is there an easy way to upgrade the tool libraries without days of text editing? Surely there must be an automated way of doing this?

I have tried doing it within NX; Tools\Convert Tool Library, but this wipes all the tools out if they are not in the correct format?

Any ideas?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I used the "convert library" functionality to update our libraries from NX7.5 to NX10 - they seemed to work OK.

Note we did not customize any fields.

I did have to go thru and make sure all  the files existed (holder_database.dat, segmented_tool_database.dat, tool_database.dat, trackpoint_database.dat) in both english & metric folders.

Also we had different filenames in the base \library\tool\(units)\ folder (e.g. "MachineA_tool_database.dat").  As part of the conversion I migrated each machine's files to a subfolder ( \library\tool\(units)\MachineA\) and set to the "default" name ("tool_database.dat"). 

Ken

Pioneer
Pioneer

That function does not work for me so I am bringing all the tools from each "old" configuration library into a single manufacturing operation.

I then change the configuration to point to a new library and export the tools.

However, there are probably thousands of tools here and it takes ages!!

Does anyone know of a way to "export tool to library" but in batches?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried to record a journal & then look thru the code?

Learn online

Solution Information