cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renishaw Protected Move

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi guys,

I am trying to make a post for a specific probing routine using the probing _cycles_siemens.pui as a template for an HBM. (I am basically just adding logic for averaging out sizes.)

I cant seem to figure out the basic OOTB protected moves though - L9810.

Example -

I have already probed the front face of the job in Z so I am already close to the part. I now want to move the probe up and over the part to strike down on the top face in Y - so I want to do 2 linear moves in protected cycles.

If I create the two "linear move to point" events the first one posts out as a G0 move?!!!! (That'll be fun!)

With the review tool on I can see its decided to make the first move a MOM_first_move and the second move a MOM_probe_protected_move even though the dialogue settings are exactly the same for both moves in NX and the protected move option is ticked!???

Does anyone have the experience to explain what to do here? I have tried changing feedrates, feed types, etc but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Craig Simpson.

4 REPLIES

Re: Renishaw Protected Move

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have the on-machine probing (or generic motion) licenses, so the following will need some work to debug

I would play with the "first move" event in post builder (look for "MOM_first_move" in the tcl file).  Could be it calls MOM_rapid_move (on its own, with no logic to check for probing).

I don't know the variables, but maybe some logic like:

global mom_use_protected_move ;# probably not the variable

if {[info exists mom_use_protected_move] &&
     $mom_use_protected_move} {
    MOM_do_template rapid_spindle CREATE  ;# so post thinks this stuff output
    MOM_do_template rapid_traverse CREATE

# at this point call the code to do the protected move
}

Could be you want to do this in the Rapid Move event instead?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ken,

Thanks for your input!

No matter how many "linear move to point" moves I put into an NX probing event the first one is always forced to

Event: MOM_first_move

which produces

mom_motion_type = RAPID

mom_probe_cycle_type = NONE

Any subsequent "linear move to point" moves force

Event: MOM_probe_protected_move

which produces

mom_motion_type = DEPARTURE

mom_probe_cycle_type = PROBECYCLE_PROTECTED

I have looked through the TCL file and to be honest I have only been doing this for two weeks so I am struggling to follow what is happening.

I have attached the file in case it can help anyone... to help me :-)

Thank You.

Phenom
Phenom

Here are some thoughts:

You sent a tcl file (only) so you are willing to edit that and not make the change in postbuilder? If so - Ken's suggestion above should work.

If you want to use postbuilder which will write in the tcl file:

catch {MOM_$mom_motion_event}

you could put in some logic to route to something other than the rapid event by doing this in a custom command:

if {$is_probe_op} {

PB_CMD_my_code

MOM_abort_event

}

Find a variable that indicates the operation is an "On machine probing" operation - or determine from the operation template type or something. To the post - this is a first (or initial - that would need to be handled as well) move like any other.

If you are just inheriting udes from a probe post (intended OTB method) - the main post will not use the probe post's first_move stuff anyway (I think) it grabs only the udes and handler procedures - you will have to put this in the main post.

My general approach is to add this to rapid instead (like Ken mentioned.)

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks guys!!

I eventually conquered it by creating a custom command as such -

global mom_template_type
if { $mom_template_type == "probing" } {
    MOM_probe_protected_move
    MOM_abort_event

}

and tagging it onto the Initial Move and First Move Start Sequence Events.

This does the job!!

Thanks again.

Craig Simpson.

Learn online

Solution Information