Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Rigid Tap Machining Data

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to add Taps to the Machining Data Library. I'm not interested in the "Tool Machining Data" tab mainly because I don't want to have to create  a enormous amount of taps based on different materials. 

What I'm looking to do is add all my taps to the Library based on tool materail, cut method and part material.

Based based on the tool material and part material, when I ad a tap from the library, I'd like it to automatically set the feeds and speeds of the tap. 

One issue I see this that when adding tap information to the dara record, how is NX going to know the different between a :1/4-20 tap and a 1/4-28 tap?

Is what I want to do possible? As a job shop, it would save a bucket load of programming time if I could do this.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Imperial
‎08-05-2016 01:36 PM

Re: Rigid Tap Machining Data

Kind of a kludgy way to do this (rough outline):

- Set feeds and speeds based on tap diameter only

- Use ONLY "holemaking" tap tools, with pitch setting.  Make sure pitch setting is correctf or every tap.

- In the post, calculate the cycle feedrate based on mom_tool_pitch (not the operation feedrates)

(either output IPR/MMPR directly, or use spindle speed to calculate IPM/MMPM)

- Make sure the "F" (or whatever) word in the tap cycle output line points to YOUR variable (not the$feed)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: Rigid Tap Machining Data

I just thought of another way I could trick it too. Example: I could set the diamter of the 1/4-20 to .25001 and the 1/4-28 to .25002 and enter the machining data in that way. It would require me remembering this if I ever wanted to update the speeds and feeds down the road. It should work if I set the machining data up that way. I run my fine taps a little faster than my coarse taps.

I like the premise behind your idea though but I don't think I could seperate the different speeds that way. Thinking about your solution led me to my solution though so thank you very much for that!

Learn online

Solution Information