cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotary_Floor Tool axis vector

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm trying to use a Rotary_Floor operation on a integrex machining center. Can you excute this operation with the tool tilted at an angle in stead of perpendicular to the cylinder face? And if so how?

11 REPLIES

Re: Rotary_Floor Tool axis vector

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Which NX release?

Have you tried "tool path => tilt tool axis" from the context menu of the operation in the ONT? This might be an option in NX 10 and above.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter

nx 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm sorry can you be a little more specific? I'm new to posting on the forums. What does ONT stand for? and when your refering to "tool path => tilt tool axis" is that in path settings or an option in the customized dialog? (can't find it in either one) I really do apreciate the response I'm just a litttle confused on what your asking me to check.

You can tilt the tool forward or backward by entering a Lead Angle in the Tool Axis group in the Dialog.

ONT is a legacy term for the Operation Navigator, no longer used ny Siemens.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've tried that and no matter what number I put in the lead angle it always shows my tool axis at 90 degrees.

Legend
Legend

I think this is a known problem.
Best bet is to use variable contour path with surface area and you can control the angle in that path easily.

Instead of using the parameters what I like to do is use a drive surface such as a cone or cylinder. Then project that onto the part for more visual control over how the tool reacts.

NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There seems to be a restriction, where the lead angle is only applied if the direction is set to "around axis". This doesn't make sense nor does it result in a good tool path, if you use zig-zag without lifts.

Attached find an example part file.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for the example. It is to bad that you can't specify a tool axis vector and keep it locked using rotary floor. I did get it to work with variable contour but only in a zig motion which takes longer. I apreciate all the contributers thanks again.

Legend
Legend

If you upload your part we can put some paths on it for you to achieve what you are looking for...

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information