Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Running multiple parts on different faces of a tombstone

Creator
Creator

Hey guys,

I trying to run multiple parts on different faces of a tombstone using a single work offset and "Paste inside with reference" dependencies. I cant seem to get this to work properly. In the posted code the doesnt show any rotation for the parts on the face at 120deg from the MCS orientation. We dont generally run on multiple faces at our company so any advise to set this up properly is appreciated.

4 REPLIES

Re: Running multiple parts on different faces of a tombstone

Legend
Legend

Paste with reference is a chore to get working with strips of parts like that. How did you program?

Is each part a workpiece or do some operations select a single part and others rough everything? Need more info

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Creator
Creator

Thank You @Dstryr

From the instructional videos i saw it show that this is intended to have each part and stoje be its own workpiece geometry with its own MCS. Here is the image.

Genreally it works really well and shows all the correct tool path on the subsequent parts, creates a lot of redundent operations, bit generally works well with parts on the same face.

The parts on the rotated face however, it shows the tool path correctly but since you cant specify a vector as your tool axis without removing the dependancy, your not actually communicating that its rotated from your parent MCS and if you do remove the dependancy the toolpath is obviously skewed becuase your boundary selection, clearance plans, etc are on a diffent part at a different angle. 

Legend
Legend

The way my posts are setup is you would have the following

Main MCS

> Workpiece

>> MCS set to use CSYS

Then when you paste with reference into the other face the post should know the vector off the main MCS and post a retract / rotation.

Honestly though I dont think there is much savings in time on the machine (in my testing) to deal with 2500+ operations in the NX file so what I normally do is the following.

I'd make a program for all the parts at B0 and use G54 B0

Then I'd have offsets G55 B120, G56 B240

G54

M98P1000

G55

M98P1000

G56

M98P1000

You will have extra tool changes but it makes it not such a cluster in NX. There is a new pattern feature coming out in NX that will handle the rotation of the parts behind the scenes ...

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Maybe the sim03 Mill Tombstone example could help you.

It is Sinumerik, but here also the NC output for the cutting part is in one subprogram and the main program recalls it.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Learn online

Solution Information