Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SIM09 Millturn example ISV problem with spun part

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I'm in the process of adapting sim09 millturn example to make a sim kit for one of our machines. 

I'm seeing that during simulation the size of my part is not correct after ISV creates the "spun" version of it.  I'm not talking about the "part spun outline" in my turning workpiece, that appears to be correct.  I thought maybe I had done something to create this issue so I went back to the ootb example to see if I was seeing the same behavior. 

I've created a simple part with an I.D. of 650mm and placed it in the center of the table.  I created a simple I.D. finish toolpath, and the code looks correct (X coordinate is 650 with diameter programming).  It looks like the tool is violating the part, and if you analyze the spun shape, the I.D. is incorrect.  Please see attached pictures. 

I've done my best to be sure that this isn't an issue with the part (inside is concentric with the outside).  And I've also checked to make sure it's centered on the table, and all MCS are centered also.  Is this an issue with the sim kit?  Is this spun shape used for collision checking or is it more just for visual?  I'm new to the turning side of NX so I'm in unfamiliar territory.  Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

NX Version 12.0.1.7

10-23-2018 5-01-31 PM.jpg10-23-2018 5-02-28 PM.jpg10-23-2018 4-55-23 PM.jpg10-23-2018 4-55-00 PM.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SIM09 Millturn example ISV problem with spun part

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would report this to GTAC

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

before reporting this to GTAC could you try the same with NX1202?

Thanks

Thomas

Hi,

Is your tool having the right dimensions. If your ini file (tool lenghts etc.) containts the wrong dimensions for your tool, you will get this. It looks like the X dimension is to small (measured in the middle of the insert)...

Good luck

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the responses guys.  I tried the latest version 12.0.2 MP3 and had the same issue.  I also checked my tool and it is off, but only by about 10 microns.  Strange also as this is just an ootb NX tool that I did not create.  I will report to GTAC.

TOOL.jpgINI.jpg

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Smoffat,

to facet the geometry before it gets rotated (spindle on) a tolerance is used.

If you take a smaller tolerance setting the deviation between ideal parasolid model (650) and faceted representation (649.x) will be improved.

You will find that tolerance under:

Customer Default -> Manufacturing -> Simulation & Visualization -> ISV -> "Faceting Tolerance for Collision Detection"

Note:
To perform a collision check between the tool vs. part (Gouge check) the system do not use that faceted model.

Hope that helps

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the reply, you are correct.  I adjusted and now the results are better.  It's also good to know that gouge checking is not using that model. 

Learn online

Solution Information