cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPOT_DRILLING with Holemaking

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! Can anybody tell me whether the depth of 3 mm in the SPOT_DRILLING-Operation in the hole_making-Template is fixed? I know, I can change the depth in my Feature Geometry, but where does the 3 mm come from? If I change the 3 mm to 4 mm in the hole_making-Template it does not matter something. If I use the operation there are still 3 mm presetted. Are the 3 mm set arbitrarily?

Why isn't it possible to get the depth of the spot-drilling-operation out of the feature even if the feature has no top_chamfer? For example: If I have a hole of 10 mm and a 90-degree-tool for spotdrilling the system should know that I can drill a depth of 5 mm without gouging the feature. If I want to have a 1 mm top_chamfer I can set the depth to 6 and everything is OK.

Werner

1 REPLY

Re: SPOT_DRILLING with Holemaking

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Spot drilling is intended just to make an initial mark and ensure that a subsequent drilling operation keeps the position. The only requirement is that the operation shouldn’t drill too deep and gouge the part.  A spot drilling operation is defined by a depth and will always machine a diameter less than the hole diameter by default.  This operation type considers the feature geometry, but only to the extent that it won’t drill too deep.  It obtains a default depth value from a template rather than the part feature, and then that default value is reduced if the software determines that tool depth will violate the part. And off course the spotdrill diameter is limited to the soptdrill diameter.

So for spot drilling the intent is not directly connected to the diameter of the hole.

In case you want to have a direct connection to the hole diameter you can use the COUNTERSINKING operation. However this will always create a chamfer and will not stay within the hole diameter.

So currently we don't have an intent that uses the hole diameter for specifiying a spot drilling operation.

Learn online

Solution Information