Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save IPW as component

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

One of our CNC programmers just asked me why when he saves an IPW as a component, the body is now a "faceted body", instead of a "body", which it was before?

He uses the saved IPW body for blank stock for other parts, and can't use assembly constraints with the faceted body, to locate it.  I took a look thru the settings, and didn't see anything.

Note, this started when he was updated to Windows 10, and had NX reinstalled.  He's been on NX11, but I'm sure the mp has been updated, and he may have gone from nx 11.0.1 to 11.0.2 as well.

Thoughts?

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Save IPW as component

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Dave,

I am not quite sure if I understand the issue. The IPW has always been saved as a Facet Body and not as Solid Body. Not completely sure about Turning, but in Milling it is definitely always Facet Body IPW.

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello I agree with Alex, when use Save IPW it will become a faceted model.

I suggest to use the IPW flow function inside the ONT when defining the blank for the next setup. That will inherit the internal IPW data and can be better reused for further programming.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

OK, I'll have to go talk to the user.  When I was doing cnc stuff, I only used the IPW within the same part, so I never concerned myself with what it was. 

In this case, I think he's wanting to save the IPW off, to use it as a a new starting blank...I wonder if he actually modeled a new IPW-ish blank for the the previous parts, and has just forgotten?

Thanks!

-Dave

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

In NX10, turning IPWs are (from what I can tell) "geometry" (planes/cylinders/cones/etc.)

Milling IPWs are faceted

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This would be a turning operation.  User has been doing each end of the turned part, in a seperate file, as opposed to a second MCS to flip the part.  Being able to export the IPW to use in the "flipped" operations is the goal.

Milling, all operations are in one file, so no need/desire to save the IPW off as a component.

-Dave

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator
The "Save 3D IPW" has always been a faceted model. The "Save as Component" in verify was a solid for turning operations. This is no longer the case starting from NX11.0.2. To transfer the IPW between parts it is advised to use the "IPW - In Process Workpiece" as a blank definition (as already mentioned in the thread) With regards Bob Wijers NX CAM Product Management

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks, I'm passing all of this along, plus I found some things in the 11.0.2 help docs that may help.

-Dave

-Dave

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

I encountered the same challenge with turning. During regression testing, the NX10 "Revolve" solid body became a facet when I opened the part in NX11. I opened the part in NX12 and it was a "Revolve" once again.

HTH

Learn online

Solution Information