Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Search within files for a tool without opening the files

Hello all,

I am new to NX and was asked to try and make a spreadsheet in which you can type a Tool number and all .prt files containing that tool within a particular file location will be listed. We utilize NX 7.5 and 9 until we can convert everything to 9. I was thinking of tying to add a button in excel that will contain code that will search the files while using a cell (containing the tool number) as the search criteria. Any assistance on this will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

5 REPLIES

Re: Search within files for a tool without opening the files

[ Edited ]

To do this, you could use a journal to open each .prt file and cycle the Machine Tool view of the Operation Navigator. Attached is a starting point.

Are you sure you want to look for tool numbers and not names?

Are your tool numbers unique identifiers for each tool?

If they are a position on the machine, then there could be many different tools with the same number.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I'm guessing you don't use Teamcenter?

If so (if you use TC Mfg) I believe tools are resources, and you can search that way.

Another option (if you use them) is to search the shop docs (or even posted code).

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Thank you MarkRief I will give it a try. I did mean Tool Names thank you for correcting that, out tool names are just the tool number with "TOOL" before it so it should work either way. Thank you again and I will let you know if it works.
Ken_A we are in the proses of setting up Teamcenter so that is not an option just yet. However, during my research I did come across that feature and have let my supervisor know and he is going to look into it. Thank you for the reply.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author jfree
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

[ Edited ]

Attached is a much better sample to start with.

It will get the name and number of each tool and send to the listing window and syslog.

Note the tool types may not be complete. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Simply amazing thank you so very much worked like a charme

Learn online

Solution Information