Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Set environmental variable if don't have write access permission to reuse library.

Hey,

I am trying to create CMM inspection template and reuse it whenever needed. When i save the template, it says, "You do not have write access to this file. Enter a different path name.". My question is if i use different path how'd i make use of it as template. Do we have any alternative like setting environmental variable for some other location where we do have access? 

7 REPLIES

Re: Set environmental variable if don't have write access permission to reuse library.

1) What version of NX?

2) Where is it trying to save the file (possibly the NX log file would have it, if not visible interactively)?

3) If you are trying to save into the NX install tree, I would *strongly* suggest not trying to write there.  Go over to the the NX customization & programming forum, and download  the "NX Custom" setup for your version of NX (or view some of the tech tip videos here on how to set up your cam customizations in a different folder tree than the install tree).

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: Set environmental variable if don't have write access permission to reuse library.

If this is about the reuse library, can you please explain more? 

If this is about a setup template, then the best is to make a copy of the resource folder, tell NX CAM to look there for templates, and do your customization in your copy. There are several ways to do this - Ken mentioned NX custom. Also take a look at my video on getting started with customization.

If this is a type template, another option for the short term is to save the part in your on location, and then browse to it when you want to use it as a template.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.

1. NX 10

2. It was trying to save in the installation folder under resource library which i somehow tried to manage by copying and pasting the whole resource library into a completely different folder and then setting the environment variable for that new location. I am able to save now. But i also need to make some changes in .pax file (for displaying that template as mentioned in the NX manual as shown hereinstallation_directory.PNG) under UGII folder under templates which seems little bit difficult because neither the same approach is working for it nor i am ready to take risk in writing in the installation folder. I do not have permission to write in installation directory.

3. I'll try that option....

Please also refer the image as i've changed the environmental variable for this custom library.... custom_path.png

[ Edited ]

Hey Mark,

Yes it is resource library and i am trying to setup a new template for inspection. I did as you mentioned and i am successfully able to save in the new folder (where i have the permission) but now i need to make some changes in UGII folder again (\templates\my_inspection.pax for allowing it to appear in templates) there is a problem as i don't have permission to write in that folder . i am looking for an alternative approach, please refer the attached image for better picture what my next step is.... and also from log file as you can see here custom_path.png

i've set both these paths correctly.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Divyanshu
‎05-11-2016 01:31 AM

Assuming inspection works the same as CAM, you should not edit the pax files installed by the system in UGII\templates.

Create a .pax file with only your additions and place it in UGII_USER_DIR\startup, and the system will show your entries in the file new dialog, before the OOTB ones.

In this picture, I have a pax file with one additional setup, and you can see it at the top of the list:

file_new.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

Hey Mark, Thanks for this great help. It works well. The only problem is, while creating template I deleted the part and saved it with just the configurations. Now, when I open it and then open a part file in the template, it throws some error.... please have a look on them.....

Error1.PNGError2.PNGThe part works well when opened separately. Is it because i am doin mistake while saving the template... means deleting the part!!!

I can't tell what you are doing. 

The most common mistake I see is opening a part AND using it as a template. Never do both in the same session. If you need to work on the template part, open it, save it, restart NX, open a different part and then test the template part.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information