Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Main Spindle #

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am working with a single-channel machine that has 1 milling spindle and two turning spindles, like sim15.  For turning, I need to set the main spindle to 1 or 2 depending on whether I am turning on the main spindle or sub-spindle.  It appears that sim15 sets this by parsing mom_fixture_offset_value, which is the G54, G55 etc.  This method isn't ideal since customers might want to set up their offsets on different spindles. 

I was hoping to parse a variable involving the setup elements from the KIM, but I can't find any in the post review or mom variables list.

Another option is to use the MCS name, which shows up under variable mom_invisible_mcs_array[0].  But again that is something that the customer might change.

Any other thoughts on what I could use?  I am curious what the most common method is.

Thank you,

Jesse

Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES

Re: Setting Main Spindle #

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Jesse,

I understood you have a single channel machien with 3 workpiece spindles ,so far so good.

I assume there must be any NC code that indicate which spindle is used - do you have an hint for that?

Thomas

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The NC code to indicate the spindle being used is the SETMS(#).  But I need some code to determine what number goes in there.  The screenshot I shared uses "set spindle 3" if mom_fixture_offset_value==2.  mom_fixture_offset_value is a variable that the user can change when setting up the MCS in geometry tab (screenshot below).Capture.JPG

I would like to use a variable that the user will not change, but so far the idea I came up with (variable involving setup elements from the KIM) does not have a variable associated with it that gets sent to postbuilder for me to reference.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Ok, so on the CSE side all is clear.

• SETMS (#) is in the NC code.
  • In the metacode you can set the main spindle related to the number
  • Question is on which information should the post output the number.
  • Usually you know what operation works on which spindle if not you need to find some rules for it like with the MCS.

We are working to enhance the workpiece definition in ONT, so that is can be linked to a workpiece spindle in the KIM to have a clear mapping which operation works on which workpiece.

In Post Configurator we are working with multiple chains (inherit from KIM); that also allows you to set the number for SETMS based on chain information.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The most logical place for this is in the geometry view (well, at least IMHO)

As you will have a different MCS for the left & right spindles.

I typically parse the geometry (MCS) object for the string "LEFT" or "RIGHT".  If I find neither, I output a warning or abort the post (depends on what I felt was appropriate when I wrote the post).

As I set up "Seed" parts for each machine, I have this set in the seed parts.

Another alternative is to add a UDE (e.g. "Jesse Set Turning Spindle") with values left or right (or main/sub or whatever makes sense to you & your users)

Assign this to the MCS objects. (or whatever)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ken, great solution.  I'll just have to tell the customer to include "main" or "sub" within the name of MCSs.

Cheers,

Jesse

Learn online

Solution Information