Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Setting lower limit planes for adaptive milling

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I have been using adaptive milling recently and have had a hard time automatically setting a bottom limit plane.

In most of my machining setups, I want to leave an area near the bottom of the part so I do not cut into my vise and my part does not drop out of the vise as shown below:

2018-11-27_18-25-50.png

Adaptive milling does not have any inheritence or option to avoid cutting all the way to the bottom of the part without modifying the cut levels, which I find pretty clunky.

I'd love to use adaptive milling more, but I don't understand how to enforce a lower limit plane.

Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Setting lower limit planes for adaptive milling

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

While the lower limit plane is probably the best approach, have you tried adding the vice jaws to "check" geometry and setting appropriate check geometry clearance?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

I would say this is a better/safer way of doing this anyways.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The issue with check geometry is if the blank is big enough, a tool can fit between the part & the jaws.

So you may still need the lower limit plane.

But in a true "belt AND suspenders" approach, you can always do both ;-)

Although I'm somewhat surprised that adaptive mill doesn't support the lower limit plane, as it is a newer operation type...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Can't you select the inner face of the vice jaw and add distance to it instead of selecting the body of the vice jaw to prevent the cutter from doing just what you say?  For example, if the distance from the vice jaw to the part is .650" and you're using a .500" cutter, add .200" to the inner vice jaw face and the cutter can't go below the vice jaw.

Capture.JPG

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the great feedback! @Ken_A I am also suprised that adaptive does not offer a limit plane integration... am I missing something or have you noticed the same thing?

@Mark_MN I am trying out a couple things with the check geometry... Adding tolerance seems to help a bit but I end up getting toolpaths that cut over the check geometry:

2018-11-28_10-58-55.png

Here's how I have the cut geometry set up:

2018-11-28_11-00-11.png

I'm considering setting up an invisible piece of geometry that represents a clearance area I want to avoid and using that to trick the check geometry into doing what I want. It just seems like a very clunky way to solve this problem...

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Inside the Adaptive Milling operation, you can add Check Stock and it will keep the cutting tool away from your Check Geometry

Capture.JPG

Tony Lisle
CAM Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions | PROLIM PLM
Excellence in Siemens PLM Software
Tony.Lisle@Prolim.com
Mobile: (513) 325-2993
Office: (513) 984-0480 ext. 123

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there a way to add different values to the check faces or check bodies for the XY and Z direction independently?  Or at least cheat it to do so.  Leave .010" on top of the vice jaws and leave .200" on the face holding the part to prevent the cutter from diving down between the finished part and face of vice jaw holding the part like what was being discussed further up in this thread.  I used to do this in PowerMILL quite a bit for stuff like this.  An easy way to keep a cutter from diving down a hole and finishing the top surface the hole is in too.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

you can also edit cut levels and put very bottom  where you want

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Legend
Legend

Making a dummy oversized block under the part for check geometry is a  solid idea. You can hide it off.

Beware if you use something like a jaw for check geometry, I would recommend it being wave linked in.

If the body used in your assembly as check does not open... and you regenerate your path, you could now cut where you don't want to because the check geometry is not present

If it's check geometry used in the file. I like it in the file, not out in some assembly where it may not show up to do it's job.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Learn online

Solution Information