Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Setting up lathe tools for machine sim

I know this is a basic concept but for some reason I am struggling with it.

I am trying to use machine simulation with a solid tool. I tried doing it as the help documentation shows and have the X-Axis pointing in the Z+ (MCS) and the Y-Axis pointing in the X+ (MCS) for both the Tool Mount Junction and the Tool Tip Junction. For some reason when I run the machine sim my tool is nowhere near the right place. It runs fine in verify. I have tried using both zero and the correct offsets in the tool parameters. If I rotate my Tool Tip Junction, so the Z-Axis points in the X+ (MCS) direction then it actually runs correctly in machine sim. But in verify the tool is 90 degrees off.

I tried to duplicate SIM11 and that is the machine that I am bringing into my part, but I must have something oriented incorrectly. Also, My WCS is set up the same as my Tool Mount Junction. X-Axis pointing to the Z+ (MCS) and the Y-Axis pointing to the X+ (MCS).

Thanks in advance.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
2 REPLIES

Re: Setting up lathe tools for machine sim

So... I was able to get it to work by rotating the Tool Mount Junction 90 degrees.

Now my problem is that SIM 11 works fine but SIM 13 has the same problem. The tool isn't cutting any where near where it should. Does anyone know the differences between the 2 machines?

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

Re: Setting up lathe tools for machine sim

This behavior / Connection is dependent on the machine tool. The tool length compensation for machine simulation is a mapping of the tool length directions based on the tool mount junction in the pocket - as you figured out correctly. It might be that these junctions are different in different machine tools.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Learn online

Solution Information