cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop Documentation Lowest Z Depth of Tools

Experimenter
Experimenter

Whats the MOM Variable I need to insert into my Shop Doc to display the Lowest Z depth of my tools? No 5 Axis stuff, just 3 Axis. 

Thanks. 

7 REPLIES

Re: Shop Documentation Lowest Z Depth of Tools

There is not a mom variable for this.

The most common approach is to use post for your shop docs, and capture the min Z for each operation or tool.

This has been discussed several times - you should be able to search and find more information.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the very quick reply! I have tried to research this but the few links I have found tell me that I do not have access to them. I am stuck there.

Is what you're tell me to do possible by modifing the excel file or do I have to do this some other way?

Thanks. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In the post: (assuming tool axis is in +Z direction)

Most motion: mom_pos(2)

Cycles: mom_cycle_feed_to_pos(2)

Arcs: If you don't have arc motion set to "quadrant limited", then you'll have to calculate it.  If you use quadrant limited arcs, then mom_pos(2) will get it.

I output my documentation as part of posting, so I'm not sure if/how to do this in Shop Docs.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

You really want to check the smallest Z value that is output, and that is not in the operation. In Shop Docs, you have variables for operation parameters (what you see in the dialogs), but not the tool path. It is possible to list the path and capture the output, and parse it for the lowest Z value, but that is work, and not accurate for anything other than a simple mill, if you are programming tool tip. I would do this in the post, because you need access to the tool path that is output.

@mx159guitar Regarding old postings, they are probably archived from the old fourm/bbs. If you are a customer you should have access to this: http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/GTAC-Customer-Forums-Archive/ct-p/NX-Manufacturing-Cu....  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend
Whoever is in charge of shop doc development needs a kick in the ass to get moving! Nothing has been introduced since nx8 for this function?
NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Dstryr wrote:
Nothing has been introduced since nx8 for this function?

There have been many variables added to access more information, so nothing is not the case.

Have you already opened an ER at GTAC to get this functionality included?

The more customers request a function, the earlier it gets implemented.

The Siemens product managers can't read anybodies mind, you will still have to tell them what the software is missing Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated. I'm a new guy for my company and I need all the help I can get at the moment. 

Learn online

Solution Information