cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop Documentation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was planning on updating our Shop Documentation from old ShopDocs to the "new" style of Excel based Shop Documentation.

I just tried to output a tool List using standard Tool List Select (HTML/Excel) template provided and the format in my browser does not match the format in Excel.  So I think before I start customizing anything, I'd like to understand what's wrong with the provided sample templates?

I have not cutomized anything yet and you can see that things in my browser looks horrible and when I open it in Excel it does not look too hot either?  Mostly it's the text that is not wrapping to the next line, numbers that do not fit in columns, etc.  Why isn't the provided template do not work?  I'd like to learn base on provided samples, but why aren't those correct?

This is NX8.5.2.3 Win7 64bit and IE11.

Jerry

16 REPLIES

Re: Shop Documentation

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Excel based shop documentation was introduced in NX 8, in NX 8.5 there are still many places where things don't work as expected.

There have been many things fixed in NX 9.0.3 and NX 8.5.3, so you might want to check them out first.

If you want really full control over how the HTML is created, you should stick with the old Tcl only shop documentation, since there you are also able to do many fancy things that are not possible with the Excel based templates.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I understand that some things might not work perfect.  After all this is Unigraphics, whoever uses it knows very well it's the only software that keeps releasing half done projects.

BUT, why would they release this new piece of software if even their OWN SAMPLE do not work???  Who in the right mind is in charge?

With many features not working properly on the manufacturing end of the software several of our programmers convinced the management to purchase few seats of SolidCAM.  So far they are incredibly happy with it.  They even output threadmills and other things that NX cannot handle for me.  Recently they started to use it for their toollists.  Right out of the box you can get a beautiful tool list!  NX still cannot do it!!!  Look at my previous post to see what I get when I try to get a tool list without any customization.

Why doesn't the provided tool list work????  It's been released for at least two years if not more now.  Can someone from Siemens provide a sample tool list that does work?  People, it's a simple tool list!  The sample tool list that's provided not only cannot format and handle my operation names, it just cannot be used at all.  Wouldn't you want to start people of with something that is working and then give them opportunity to customize it?

What you are giving us is something that we need to fix first and then customize to fit our needs.  Who has time to fix your errors??? 

I'm not sure how long I can handle programming using this software.  I'm getting close to two decades and I see nothing but problems, nothing but "try the next release" excuses.  I have people sitting next to me doing way more than I can handle after all those years without a need to learn TCL, HTML, Excel, Journal and VB in addition to learning the actual CNC programming.  With NX learning all these additional languages is not an option but a MUST!

Jerry

NX8.5.2

Legend
Legend

Can you post screenshot of the camworks tool list you want to mimic?

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not trying to mimic anything.  Want to make my own.  My point is the sample tool list provided doesn't work!  See my initial post.  It's a shame we need to first debug and fix out-of-the-box things before we can make our own!

Legend
Legend
Nothing is "wrong" with the out of the box formatting. You are supposed to print it from Excel and not from your browser.

NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend
That said...I dont think the tool lists are very good either but haven't sat down and made my own yet.
NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not true according to Siemens guys.

It creates HTML file automatically so that you can view it online or view it on computers that do not have Excel on them.

What's the point having HTML file created that's formatted wrong.

That's what was said at Users' Conference couple of years ago when they first introduced it.

Legend
Legend
Open the .html file in Excel.
Go to print preview.
Works fine.

I guess excel handles the formatting different than a browser on a webpage would do...
NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why use Excel to print a HTML file, this really defeats the purpose of creating a HTML file entirely.

From my point of view needing Excel to create a HTML template is not intuitive.

It seems that the HTML created by Excel doesn't use the correct CSS styles for the table, so one needs to edit the Excel created HTML template file to correct this.

This seems to be adding more work than really needed.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information