Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Shortest Tool Length Calculation

If I get a result of 1.0 does that include the "shank" modeled in?

NX11.0.1
4 REPLIES

Re: Shortest Tool Length Calculation

It should be the length the tool (which includes the shank) extends from the holder, taking in to account the minimum clearances on the shank and holder.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Example

Tilted area mill operation
3/32 ball endmill with 3/8 flute length
1/8 shank sticking out 3/8
Total length is .750

Now if I put a 3/32 with 1/4 flute
1/8 shank sticking out 1/2
Total length is .750 as well

How do I know the mininum flute length required not to collide?

NX11.0.1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dstryr
‎09-11-2015 08:04 PM

Given a specific tool, and shank and/or holder, the system calculates the tool length required to maintain the clearances in the operation. The flute length is not used - it is the length of the tool - both neck and flute (gray and yellow).

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I think this example of a tool with a shank but no holder will show the basic workflow.

OOTB, the clearances are set to allow the tool neck above the flute length to touch, and provide .1000 clearance for the shank and the holder:

I generate with collision checking on, and as expected, the path stops when the shank gets to the clearance distance from the part:

To use report shortest tool, (or tool axis tilt, or tool path divide) I generate with collision checking off, to get the full path:

Then I ask for the shortest tool, and the system tells me .658:

I edit the tool length to .658, and see that the clearance to the shank is at least .1:

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I'm doing some 3d work deep inside a part and it is very hard to figure out what flute length is required to cut the part.

Tool is a 1/16 ball 3/16 flute length sticking out 5/8 total from the holder. Even after sectioning the part and seeing it run I was still skeptical.

This was good to know. Thanks Mark.
NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information