cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siemens 840D Cycles

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Writing a post for a Siemens 840D solutionline.

So I created a new PB10.0.1 post in Postbuilder using the library -> Siemens 840D millturn as the starting point.

Set the flag that this is a solution line control.

Playing with drill cycles.

Can anyone point me to a CORRECT, UP TO DATE Siemens (control group) manual that corresponds to what the post is outputting???

e.g.

1)  CYCLE83() outputs 20 parameters.  Best PGZ manual I could find (dated 2008) only documents 17 parameters (post seems  to add _GMODE, _DMODE, and _AMODE, which I can't find any documentation for)

2) CYCLE84() - docs only provide info for the following options for _PTAB (14th param in call): 0, 1, 2, 3

PB post outputs a "4" for _PTAB.  So what does "4" mean?

This is getting incredibly annoying.

(yes I have an IR in to GTAC, and yes, I probably need to ask the control group, but SOMEONE in PLMS created this post/control template, so they should know what document they used to create it!)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

7 REPLIES

Re: Siemens 840D Cycles

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ken,

you can find a overview of the parameters for 840D SolutionLine (10/2015) in the following document:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/109481532/PGAsl_1015_en_en-US.pdf?download=true

This is the so called "SINUMERIK 840D sl / 828D Job Planning Programming Manual"

You will find CYCLE83 with 20 parameters and the 4th value for _PTAB in CYCLE84 that you mentioned.

For sure it is only a list of the current parameters. I'm also missing a document like for 840D or 840D PowerLine in which there are some graphics and examples beneath the textual description. Especially also for measuring cycles.

Peter

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Peter -

Thanks...Looks like it has the params.

But like you say, further explanation is somewhat lacking ;-(

Phenom
Phenom
Understanding all the siemens cycles params may not be necessary if you just pass the param name on to the programmer. The holemaking siemens cycles "ude" that customizes the holemaking form takes this approach (I think.) For PTP cycles - I took the params that are not implied out of the PTP form and made a ude that matched the holemaking ones (that weren't covered.) Then the cycle put out by "macro" just puts out the value - with post not knowing the specifics.
NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Phenom
Phenom
In other words - you could just copy out the fields you need from the "SYS_CYCLE" ones in the cdl.
NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I could play dumb and just pass thru the parameters.

And then about 5 seconds after the users start programming the machine, they'll ask me something that requires me to know about the cycle parameters.  So I'll still need to know...

Phenom
Phenom

You are right of coarse. I have had to explain what doc says about these cycles to programmers that probably had training, have doc, and have the machine to test. Usually customers want a budget post - then do not want to specify or understand the code they want thinking that the post builder will analyze the control and version and options and parameters that affect behavior of what they have. It is a better situation to have a relationship with the machine tool builder - but they try not to be associated with the offline programming - or if they are will suggest some non cam friendly approach to it.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For Sinumerik controls it is best to have the SinuTrain software installed to check the correct output of the post-processor.

Their lists of comma separated values for cycle parameters is just horrible and was one reason why we didn't use Sinumerik controls for a long time.

In addition you have to search through at least three PDF documents to get the information you need.

The work preparation PDF is the one that is most important for maintaining post-processors.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information