Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Simulation Animation: Tool Path vs Machine Code Simulate

I am programming a job on a new machine with a kinematic model that we recently had setup with help from a Siemens rep.  On my other machines I can  choose between "Machine Code Simulate" and "Toolpath Simulate" in the Simulation Control Panel but I now have no option other than "Toolpath Sim".

I need to be able to verify machine code in NX. 

Does anyone have any hints for me?  I am thinking there may be something in the .DAT file I need to change, but nothing looks obviously out of place. Thanks! 

NX 10.0.3.5 MP8

7 REPLIES

Re: Simulation Animation: Tool Path vs Machine Code Simulate

Is the same machine tool in the setup? 

When you postprocess, do you see the generic list of posts, or only one for this machine?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Hi

It looks like there is something wrong with the file references in  machine_database.dat or the machine.dat file. I recommend at first to look into the NX log file to have more information which file is incorrect referenced. If it´s not clear than you have to go step by step trhough the files and verify the referenced pathes and files. 

Thomas

Please find some slides, which should give you an overview.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

@MarkRief
Yes, the machine is in the setup. I do see a generic list of posts including the post for this machine. I get the same result when I browse to the post.

@thomasfeind and SpaceTom
Everything looks like it has the correct reference both in the "machine".dat and machine_database.dat, however, according to the log file it is searching for the "machine".dat file in a folder which does not exist. AHA!

It seems that maybe the .dat file I am editing is not the one being read butr I cannot find a duplicate.dat file.

From log file:
+++ Cannot open file ...\NX\NX10\MACH\resource\library\machine\installed_machines\HAAS_VM-3_4AX\HAAS_VM-3_4AX.dat

From HAAS_VM3_4AX.dat:
HAAS_VM3_4AX,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}HAAS_VM3_4AX\postprocessor\HAAS_VM3_4AX.tcl,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}HAAS_VM3_4AX\postprocessor\HAAS_VM3_4AX.def
CSE_FILES, ${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}HAAS_VM3_4AX\cse_driver\HAAS\HAAS_VM3_4AX.MCF

From machine_database.dat:
DATA|HAAS_VM3_4AX|MDM0101|HAAS_VM3_4AX|4 Axis|HAAS|${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}HAAS_VM3_4AX\HAAS_VM3_4AX.dat|1.000000|${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}HAAS_VM3_4AX\graphics\HAAS_VM3_4AX

From ugii_env.dat:
# This is the root for CAM specific files
UGII_CAM_BASE_DIR=...\NX\NX10\MACH\

You can see that the difference is between the VM-3 and VM3 but I cannot see where the callout for VM-3 is coming from.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cameron_Avery
‎10-31-2016 09:46 AM

Good analyze so far, maybe in your CAM Setup file is referencing to an old outdated library entry.

This can be checked when you select the root note inside the ONT Machine Tool and Right Mouse Button "Information"

That should list which library entry and dat file is stored with the CAM setup art file.

Here an example what you get:

--------------Machine Information---------------
---------- Object name: 9-AX_MILL-TURN_DUAL-CHANNEL_B-AXIS-HEAD ---------------
Template Type: Library
Template Subtype: 9-Ax Mill-Turn Dual-Channel B-Axis-Head
Coordinate System of Data - Work
Machine retrieved from library. Library reference: sim15_millturn_9ax_sinumerik_mm
Manufacturer: Example
Description: 9-Ax Mill-Turn Dual-Channel B-Axis-Head
Retrieve Pocket Data Flag: 1
Configuration file: ${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_INSTALLED_MACHINES_DIR}sim15_millturn_9ax\sim15_millturn_9ax_sinumerik_mm.dat
Location for CSE files D:\Siemens\NX11.0\mach\resource\library\machine\installed_machines\sim15_millturn_9ax\cse_driver\sinumerik\sim
15_millturn_9ax.MCF
------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

You are correct. The CAM setup file was referencing VM-3 in all cases. Another user initially setup this machine in the VM-3 directory and I have been trying to get everything changed.

I deleted and reloaded the machine and now it seems to work like it should. Machine Code Simulate is also available now.

Thank you!

Great... thanks for your feedback!

Learn online

Solution Information