Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Slow NX response while in CAM aplication

Legend
Legend

We have NX 9 CAM setup integrated with Teamcenter10. Our machine's (3D models -assembly, part files, IS&V files, kinematic infor etc..) are in TC database, post processor files on central location (same server as TC database). We use these machines (MACH setups) for all our NC programming so that user gets exact postprocessor for the machine used.

I observed a slight delay each and every time

1) while creating/editing an operation

2) Swithching between different tabs/options/dialogues within opetation.

Did anyone of you observe this behavior?

See attached image where it shows loading assembly file of the MACH setup used. Why NX CAM need to load the file each and everytime?

Do anyone of you know why? How to avoid it?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Slow NX response while in CAM aplication

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We are running native NX installed on the local PC, with our Mach/resource on a shared drive for common use.  NX10/11

We notice the same thing.  I was just testing NX12.0.2 and it is still there.    I wouldn't call it a slight delay, it can be 5 seconds depending on the menu.   Opening/editing an operation may be understandable with the IPW involved,but even then on a large part it is only 1 second or so.  Within an operation just selecting Non Cutting or a Sub Operations in Generic/Probing should not be a x second delay.

I think it is something everyone gets used to, but should we be used to it?  I think we should contact GTAC on this one.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

After further tests,

I checked a few operations opening the sub menus etc.  The worst offenders are the NON-Cutting Menu  and Generic Motion/Probing Sub Ops. Consistently 3-5 seconds to open.  That is enough to distract a programmer.   When converted to the new explorer layout,  Engage and Retract only of Non-Cutting had a 2 second delay.   Explorer mode had no speed change for Sub Ops. 

All others internal to the operations I find vary from Instant up to just around 1 second. 

Submitting to GTAC for the long delays especially.

Legend
Legend
As you mentioned I fully agree that more than 1 second delay is enough to distract a programmer.
Did you observe the delay due to loading of machine assembly file(s)?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I did tests on multiple operations going thru the menus, 100% local, out of the box configuration.  A block for the part.

Non cutting moves menu and Sub Ops are the primary delays.  It is ER 9214039

Legend
Legend

Search for "Reset Dialog Memory" in your "User Interface Preferences" while in manufacturing. Sometimes this speeds things up when they get clunky.

The dialog (not the menus) will go back to their default state. If you are worried and want to revert back, just make a backup of the NX folder 1st in your username>appdata>local>siemens folder. It is a hidden folder, so you will have "show hidden folders" in your folder preferences in windows. 

Rename the copy back to orignal name to revert back. 

appdata.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

How big is your dialog memory file?

%UGII_USER_DIR%\DialogMemory.dlx

If it is more than about 1 MB, try (as @TechniCsNC suggested):

- closing NX

- renaming that folder (see ENV variable UGII_USER_DIR for location)

- restarting NX

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, i got the same Problem.

My Operation took over 60 Seconds to load, my PP Output of around 500 Lines took several Minutes.

I renamed the Folder, because the "Dialogmemory.dlx" was around 11 MB.

After the renaming it still takes 3-5 seconds to open an Opteration and 15 seconds for the PP to do its magic.

Before we switched our "Database" to our Fileserver, it was way faster.

Is there a way to further reduce the delay?

Is it possible to load all needed Data (PP, Machine, Tools ...) from our Fileserver to our local machine at the start of NX, so that there is no delay?

NX 11.0.0.33

NX Phase 33

Parasolid-Version 29.0 (build123)

Creator
Creator

I had same slow responce with teamcenter integration, i had Nx installed on server, we made a local installation to my computer, still full teamcenter intergration, in my case it solved the problem.

Also local temp file is good empty every now ans then.

NX 11.02 MP9
TC 10.1.7
MRL 3.16

Legend
Legend

I haven't done it yet, but I have considered experimenting with offline files for this purpose. See the link below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/enable-always-offline

This document describes how to use the Always Offline mode of Offline Files to provide faster access to cached files and redirected folders. Always Offline also provides lower bandwidth usage because users are always working offline, even when they are connected through a high-speed network connection.

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Learn online

Solution Information