Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Solution for Bore,Back with Holemaking?

Do you have a solution for Standard-Bore,Back with Holemaking? The Description for the Standard-Bore,Back-Operation is pretty nice,

A spindle stop and orient.

• Offset motion perpendicular to the tool axis and in the direction of the spindle orient.

• Dead spindle feed into the hole.

• Offset motion back to the center of the hole.

• Spindle start.

• Feed back out of the hole.

but I don't see anything of this events. Not in the CL-File also not if I debug the Post.

CYCLE/BORE,BACK,45.0000,RAPTO,2.5000,FEDTO,-30.0000,CAM,9,RTRCTO,AUTO,MMPM,41.2180,OPTION

What is the meaning of the "CAM Status"-"Status"-Option and the "Option"-Option?

With PTP we have a UDE to enter the "Offset Motion", but we naturally get no correct IPW.

Another problem is the non existing tool-type for this backboring-tools. A typical tool is this one:

I think now it would be the time to implement this. I saw in documentation that there is a BACK_COUNTERSINK-Tool with a fix angle of 45 degree. Please give a solution for my problerm.

Please listen to the Germans. I think every mechanical engineering company uses this kind of tools, and there is no reasonable solution.

Thanks a lot for being heard.

Werner

13 REPLIES

Re: Solution for Bore,Back with Holemaking?

I've supported the legacy (PTP) "bore, back" on a couple posts.  Haven't had a chance to look at the new holemaking stuff.

The way I implemented it, you need a few things set "oddly" (to say the least!)

- cycle point (part surface) set to where the bore comes UP to (i.e. where it actually cuts to)

- min clear set to start cycle above the part

- "feed to" depth = where it has to go to clear part before moving sideways (centering) and moving up

- the sideways motion distance is specified in NX "orientation angle" param.

- UDE to specify "cleararnce distance" (to move down after cut, before spindle stop/move offcenter)

Then the post mangles the above to output the G87 cycle.

My other assumption in the above is that the tool HAS to be set up (oriented) correctly to work with the "default" spindle orientation (when tool is moved sideways to enter into, or retract from, the hole)

I haven't had a chance to test but...

- Can the holemaking "boring bar" be set to be flat on top?

- can you use a turning tool in this op type?

- can you use a step drill?

But I agree, they really need to support the actual back bore tool types.*

And they really need to support ALL the options in a Siemens 840D back bore cycle

* and a LOT of other tool types

RE: CAM status - IIRC (John Joyce correct me if I'm wrong) that was for old (?Bridgeport?) mills that had a set of physical cams to govern depth.  But you can use it for whatever YOU want.

Option  - again use for whatever you want.  Long ago, some people used this to trigger rigid holder tapping (vs. flaoting holder) and other things

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

In NX 10.0.3 we added a back-countersinking tool and operation.

The back-boring tool and operation are next, but no date yet. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Ken you've reminded me of the old Pratt & Whitney Tape-O-Matic I learned on.  The machine was '69 vintage.  (Although it was '82 before I worked with it).  It used the Cam option as well.  Cam # 1, 2, etc.  were output as M81, M82, etc.  Each cam set controlled the R and Z depths.  If you had more than 9 hole configs, you made more programs and adjusted the cams in between.

"These are the good old days" Smiley Happy

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Hello!

Meanwhile I have created an ER. The number of the ER is 7464850. Who wants to have a solution for the problem with the Backbore-Tools and the Back,Bore-Operation can support it.
Thanks to all who do so.

In Attachment you find the description for the ER.

I know, there are many other Backbore-tools with different geometries and very different processes but this tool and this process is the most used.

Werner

@MarkRief The back countersink you mentioned is that like the hole chamfer operation on holemaking but for the reverse side of holes? Does that mean that chamfer milling tools like this are now supported?

Here is a quick AVI (with the necessary codec) showing the new NX10.0.3 back countersinking tool and operation.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Thanks @TomvantErve , that looks really good. What about back chamfer milling? Any plans or news?

All,

Both back boring and back chamfer milling are on our to-do list.

We are trying to tick these off one by one.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

We also have a self demo for back countersinking.

When NX 10.0.3 is released, we will add it to the Tech Tips.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information