Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some thought about NX multi-axis

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello! Everyone

I am studying the multi-axis programming with NX 10,and I have some thought: 

Can I use the multi-axis linkage in Routh Milling? How to use it?

I have seen someone use 2D curve winding workpiece,and get the tool path,but,I think it's very complex,Is there an easlier way to do it? (such as a special button,press it and automatically calculate the tool path)

5 REPLIES

Re: Some thought about NX multi-axis

Legend
Legend

Generally machines are more stable when cutting in 3axes. The rotary axes are locked and you can take heavy cuts. Then, semifinishing and finishing can be done in mulitaxis. Especially in hard materials, insert mills and the way they are designed to form chips are used in planar cuts. You could take light cuts on 5axis paths, and "rough" the material away, but I have found the 5axis path cycle ends up much longer than on a 3axis roughing path, and it beats on the machine. To the uninformed observer it may look cool to see lots of chips flying off during multiaxis cuts, but when it comes down to "cycle time," program both ways and compare which is faster. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.1.7 MP1 Primarily CAM

Legend
Legend

I just ran some really deep pockets (5" deep 4" round ID with an angled floor and .250 radius at the bottom) in titanium and used a Cavity Mill roughing path with a ball endmill. I never knew you could use tilt tool axis in Cavity Mill until last week and it worked great. I used a 3/8 ball em in an extended heat shrink holder. If i would have tried to rough it normal 3x it would have been near impossible.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yes, I agree.It's one of the advantages in Fixed Milling,But in my opinion,some parts still very difficult to cut in routh operation ,even use the fixed operation,like the following (it is a 4-axis tool path):

Legend
Legend

Yes, and you can shorten the tool length used considerably. I have found I need to keep radial cuts light to prevent the bottom of the tool from "heeling" though. Especially in harder materials. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.1.7 MP1 Primarily CAM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

In theory, your example 4 axis path could be done in 3 axis + use control's G7/G7.1 (fanuc-like) or TRACYL(?) (Siemens) functions.

BUT, that is typically such a PITA that no one does it, as:

- It requires a bunch of (unwrapped) geometry to be created (which may or may not be able to be created associatively)

- It requires post support for G7/TRACYL/etc.

- It requires actual NC control option(s) be purchased...

And that won't address other "5 axis roughing" needs

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information