Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spindle and $spindle

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

In working on a multi-spindle Mill-Turn simulation, we are trying to understand what defines the $spindle variable.  We can't find this in the post builder variables or in the debugger.  For example, the Sim15 OOTB defines the main turning spindle as C4, but on our machine tool it is C1, so we need to change it.  Similarly, in the OOTB, SETMS(4) points to the main turning spindle, but for us we need SETMS(1) to point to the main turning spindle.  We have changed everything we can find in the kinematic model in machine tool builder and in the MCF file (we are working in both NX9 and NX11 for this project and we are aware some of this is no longer defined in the MCF file in NX11).  In addition, the milling spindle is S1.  When I change the spindles and axis names to C1 from C4, etc, I get an error in the Machine Tool Simulation: "Unknown spindle used ('C1')."

Right now I am running the machine code "M1=5" to stop the spindle before the first tool change begins and I get this error Machine Tool Simulation: "Unknown spindle used ('C1')."

I can't find any commands or addresses in the MCF or CCF that define what happens with an M1= command.  Does this happen in the parser?  Is there a way I can change what the spindle numbers are?  Does this have to do with the axis numbers?

Jeff

8 REPLIES

Re: Spindle and $spindle

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Often when you get the message "Unknown spindle used" that happen during the tool  subprogram. You should be able to identify the NC  line inside the subprogram. e.g. generateToolchangecode (sToolName, sCarrierName);

The carrier name is defined in the MTB KIM structure in the object classified as "_DEVIE" under the token "Device ID"

When calling e.g. SETMS(no) check the implementation in the MCF by default it uses "Cno" to be set as main spindle. That usually need to be adjusted by machine tool configuration. Same for M3 M4 M5 check for which spindle teh mode will be changed.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ok, I think I understand.  I am studying this now.  

What about the $spindle variable in post builder.  We can't figure out where that that is defined.  Can you explain $spindle?

Thanks,

Jeff

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I am not aware of any variable $spindle inside the post.

What you are looking for inside the post?

Hopefully some post experts can jump in after you describe what you are looking for.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Pioneer
Pioneer
My colleage will reply with more details about the $spindle, but ultimately we are trying to post the proper SETMS(no) for the main or sub spindles, SETMS(1) and SETMS(2), respectively.  I think we need to query which geometry the operation is under and return a 1 or 2.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

$Spindle shows up in 3 places that I can find.  When creating the post I chose the 5-axis with rotary head and table, and the Siemens840D millturn.

1. Automatically populated in the set_spindle block.  See the SETMS image.

2. Automatically populated in the transmit block.  See the Transmit image.

3. Automatically populated in the spindle_css WORD and used in the leader text.  See the spindle css image.

We would like to understand where $spindle is coming from.  Alternatively we have considered replacing that value with either our own variable or perhaps using mom_main_mcs in order to accomplish what Jeff explained above.

Phenom
Phenom
In NX10 version of sim15 - there is commented code that sets a variable called spindle. In that code it seems that "mom_machine_mode" makes the ultimate decision about a spindle. Two spindles may not be distinct for milling or turning though. My approach would probably be to look at "$mom_mcsname_attach_opr($mom_operation_name)" to see what MCS the operation is running through. Typical setup of a dual spindle will have a separate one for each of the two spindles (if like sim15.)
NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Study,

I agree that seems like a good work-around to make our post and sim work as needed, and I think we will start heading that direction.  At some point it would be great to find where the $spindle is coming from though to be able to control it directly.

Thank you,

Jesse

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just found it!  In the automatically created TURN_setting and Mill_setting commands.  I attached a picture of the one for Turning.  The Milling one is found just above this.

Learn online

Solution Information