Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Split IPW

Hello,

is there a chance to split a IPW ?

Example:

I mill a form like an L from a block from top. In the secound step i like to put the workpeace on the short side of the L and drill a hole from inside. My problem now is,that in the IPW is the rest of the block inside and i get a collision. Have i a chance to split this two parts ? Of course i can make a seperate part with the IPW and cut out the rest but i like to work with the flow IPW.Its more comfortable for me.

thx

NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3
3 REPLIES

Re: Split IPW

Are you saying that the "inside" of the L would just "fall off" in real life, as you machined thru the "L" shape with a profile type of cut?

or something else?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Hello Ken,

yes you are right. I hope you understand my problem. In real life inside is nothing anymore, but in NX I have the problem with the rest of the peace. It's only a simple example for explain. Sometime I have more complex situations.

thx
NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author nx_user
‎03-29-2016 04:05 PM

[ Edited ]

Today, we only support a split IPW in turning cut-off operations.

This is ER 6789464. We have discussed this for milling. It is possible, but not scheduled for a release yet. Technically, the IPW itself can be split -- the work is in how we decide what to do with each piece, and if we keep more than one, how to manage them. 

As I understand it, the most common use case is where a milling operation creates multiple IPWs, and all but one should be removed as scrap. We see this when a mill is used like a giant jigsaw - such as cutting an through pocket by profiling the walls, and removing the center slug.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information