cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spun Part profile

Pioneer
Pioneer

In turning I can select the part in Geometry -> MCS_Spindle -> Workpiece -> Specify Part and the Part Spun Outline gets created for me. I would like to do something similar in milling; the part that I am milling is cylindrical with radial grooves and many flats on the cylinder body, so the blank for milling could easily be made if I could make a spun part profile or the like. Is this possible to do? 

6 REPLIES

Re: Spun Part profile

I would create a turning setup and select your millng part in the workpiece. This should then create a spun outline. Now look in the part navigator, there should be a feature group that contains the 2D part spun outline. Create a revolve feature, and pick those face edges, and I think you are there.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Which NX release?

Is a cylinder sufficient?

If yes, there are options to do so in the workpiece objects blank geometry starting with NX 7.5, I think.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Mark, I've been watching your CAM Customization videos, in fact, I began this very project as a practical exercise.

I followed a similar line of reasoning to your suggestion yesterday. I am using the master model concept in my appraoch so I opened an assembly and added my part as a component. When I started the Manufacturing application I chose lathe and turning. I selected my part as the Workpiece and that created my spun profile. Beyond that point I tried so many different avenues that I wouldn't be able to accurately recount all the steps I took. I can say that remember trying to copy the sheet body, if I remember correctly, into a new part thinking that I could create a revolved solid body but I got a warning about it needing to make it "position independent". When I try to make the revolve from it, it throws me into a sketch and it is skewed wildly off the plane and orientation that I was looking for, eventually, if I keep going, and try to finish the sketch I get an error saying that the sketch is not valid for the current feature type. This same thing happens if I use a filter and only select the edges instead of the sheet body.

Another approach I took was to create the spun part profile in a lathe setup, then I thought I could Create Geometry and setup a mill planar MCS but only "turning" and "Browse" are offered in the dialog as choices. Remembering some of the things I saw in your videos I tried searching for a template but so far have not had any success getting anything to work.

My hope was to create a revolved solid from the edge curves. But, even if I had been successful, this would have all occurred inside of the assembly and I don't know if I would've ended up with a separate solid body that I could use as my blank.

This morning I made a revolved soild with a turning setup and exported it to a parasolid, opened that, and saved it as a part file, then closed it, opened my assembly and added it in. Surely there must be an easier and more direct way. The process that makes the lathe spun part profile must be some kind of function that is available to us, wouldn't you think? Isn't the spun part profile just a macro or something running a function in the background? It sure seems like it would be. If I knew what steps to take, I could just do that myself.

In your response you wrote "and pick those face edges" I don't know what you mean by face edges, can you explain? 

Pioneer
Pioneer

Stefan,

I am using NX9 and a cylinder is not sufficient, the mill blank is a turned part.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If I remember correctly, the IPW from milling can be used in turning, but not the other way around without some manual effort.

You can create a faceted body from the turning IPW through tool path verify and use that.

You might be able to use the new functionality to use the IPW of a different geometry group too.

See NX Help => CAM => Manufacturing Milling => Milling Geometry => Blank Geometry => IPW Source Dialog Box

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Our Product Managers tell me that to see an example IPW handling in a mill/turn, take a look at the sim15 samples (menu > Help > Manufacturing Tutorials > Open a Sample Part ) ,

These show how the structure of the geometry view should be defined (also described in the ‘Geometry structure sample for a 2 spindle multifunction machine’ section of the help). This is the general structure which should work (even if only one spindle exists). What is important is that the ONT defines how the IPW is calculated. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information