cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock definition for prismatic parts

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello, Is it only me, or do others think that the bounding box stock definition for quick prismatic parts is silly?

Suggestions:

1. It would make much more sense if an overall stock dimension could be defined and the allowances were computed automatically.
  2. Have a "center stock on part" function. This would center the predefined stock size on the part.
  3. Allow positional adjustment of the stock by tweaking the allowances. This would save quite a bit of time skipping steps of measuring etc.
Right now we have 7 ways to define the stock for simple parts.. but I don't think any of them is very efficient.
Now one could say that it is possible to define a block as a part and just constrain it in an assembly. True, but then why have all the other options?
3 REPLIES

Re: Stock definition for prismatic parts

This is always a popular topic for enhancements, and much has been discussed.

For now, I would recommend the "Create Box" command in modeling.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
Mark,

I think the problem is that throughout the years this stayed a topic and a workaround.
I don't believe this functionality has changed for years.Not sure what it was like before NX 6. But maybe it's time to change it.

turuleng wrote:
Mark,

I think the problem is that throughout the years this stayed a topic and a workaround.
I don't believe this functionality has changed for years.Not sure what it was like before NX 6. But maybe it's time to change it.

The "automatic" blanks in CAM have been enhanced to include both a block and a cylinder, but they remain parametric definitions for temporary blanks that are created on the fly by the processors and verification.

The most common request has been to make this available as a real solid body, so that it can be used for other tasks - setup drawings, material calculations, stock ordering, MCS referencing, assembly constraints, etc.

In NX 9, the Create Box function found in MoldWizard was enhanced and upgraded to a core modeling feature. It has some cool options for rounding off the dimensions, for example. In NX 10.0.3, we further enhanced it, and made it accessible directly while in CAM. I am sure we will continue to leverage and enhance this for CAM users.

One popular discussion is about the recommended workflow...

• Should CAM parameters drive the CAD feature (like we do with spun outline)?
  • Or should you prepare the part and blank models before you select the workpiece?  
  • Is the "Part" for the blank always the same as the "Part" for generating tool paths and the "Part" for verification?
  • Do you want to control the associativity to the part?
  • Do you locate the blank to the MCS? Or the MCS to the blank? Or the MCS to the part?
Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information