Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Switching in and out of live rotaries - multiple solutions

I have a machine (horiz mill head table) to update a post for with a table B that can be run live and a right angle (one of attachments) pointing tool axis 0,1,0. Obviously tool vector does not determine B position in this case. Close to the center line the machine runs out of travel. The solution is to set B (maybe to where X is zero and Z is positive) turn B live in certain situations instead of X,Z motion so that limits are avoided. All of the other work we leave B locked in for the operation and move XYZ. My question is - does anyone with this situation have any luck using the rotate and lock axis udes to flip in and out of reverse kinematic modes? And - (if so) can they be switched on the fly - say in a tool path edit - or do they have to be be events for entire operation or even higher? Has anyone managed this with the post (seen that the next move will voilate a limit and switch modes.) Do any of the posts shipped with NX do a good job of managing a live table rotary that the tool is normal to?

Thanks, Dan

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro
4 REPLIES

Re: Switching in and out of live rotaries - multiple solutions

A couple thoughts...

1) You can use the "mom_nxt_*" variables to "look ahead" at the next motion.  See mom_kin_read_ahead_next_motion. 

2) In PB7.5 (maybe earlier) note for rotary axis limits you can specify your own handler for when limits are reached.

3) You can look at pb_cmd_check_travel_limits.tcl.  Note (If I understand correctly) Postbuilder only allows axis limits 0 -> max, so you may need your own variables if you want to go (minus value) to (plus value)

I haven't played with lock axis. 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. I wonder if you have tried switching kinematics on the fly - maybe in between point moves - and NX responds ok. So - set necessaey kin vars - issue MOM_reload_kinematics - and have it take for a location in the program mid operation.

Thanks, Dan

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

... I bet it will work. Probably better to do this than try to make the programmer get something with lock axis and rotate. I will try to do something based on limits (since that is the source of needing it.) Thanks.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

I have done some "on the fly" kinematics changes (mostly between 5 axis table-table and head-table)

One thing to be aware of is that  when you do this, the CURRENT "mom_pos" variables are NOT changed when you reload kinematics - so you may have to re-calculate them and MOM_reload_variable

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information