Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Threadmilling tools

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi All

I have a customer that is using a single point thread mill to create a tapered thread.

There is a nice video that shows how this may be achieved, It uses a Fixed Contour operation.

(I couldn’t see who posted it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3m6ElAGNhw

The problem I am having is using any type of tool other than a T-slot tool, which I guess is fair enough as Fixed Contour Operations are not really designed for threading.

Is there a way around this?

Have I missed a more obvious way of thread milling a tapered holes?

image showing t-slot cutter cutting a thread.jpg                

Many Thanks

Tony Mason

NX CAM Consultant

TEAM Engineering  

6 REPLIES

Re: Tapered Threadmilling tools

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Thread Mill operation from MILL_PLANAR template

ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 26 10.53.gifScreenHunter_06 Mar. 26 10.55.gifScreenHunter_07 Mar. 26 10.56.gifScreenHunter_08 Mar. 26 10.57.gif

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note that (I think) in the thread mill operations, only the taper angles in the thread specs are supported. (i.e. you can't arbitrarily set the taper angle)

This was last discussed "a while" ago, so something may have changed in more recent versions.

(although "nx502_Threaded_Hole_Standard.xml" doesn't seem to have the taper angle as a parameter, so I'm guessing not...)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Using the thread milling operations in NX 10 and above for NPT thread with an NPT thread mill will automatically create the tool path with the correct conical angle, see this thread.

Based on that information we have no problem creating NPT threads.

I think that CAM is still using the old thd_metric.dat and thd_english.dat files to get the thread information, so you might have to keep them in sync with the new XML file introduced in NX 5.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Hi Michael

Thanks, I'm getting there with this now.... although not sure why a single point threading tool is displayed as if it were a t-slot cutter. I can live with that.

Thanks

Michael, Ken

Tool geometry aside.

I was having problems with the general MO of Holemaking where threadmilling is concerned because I thought that I should use the From Table method when there was no thread modeled and it was generating a lot of errors.

Should the From Table method only be used when it is necessary to use a wireframe circle/arc ?

Thanks

Tony

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

If you have an NX thread feature, let the system use the data from the feature, use From Table if there is not an NX feature...

Learn online

Solution Information