Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teach Feature - Restrict to specific dimensions of similar profiles

Pioneer
Pioneer

NX8.5 and NX11.

Good Afternoon,

We are at the very early stages of investigating the benefits of FBM.

A lot of our machined features are repetitive and at this early stage we would like to teach some features and then using the "find features" function pull a list of these from production parts.

One of our repetitive features is a seal groove in the face of a part.

The profile of these seals is standard but there are many of these seals that increase or decrease in size based on the OD and ID values.

We can currently teach this feature type in NX and then find it in our production parts.

However the "find features" function finds all the seals of this profile, not just the specific one we have taught.

We wish to teach the actual seals individually and recognise them individually.

So, how do we teach a specific feature at a set dimension and then only find the exact same feature in a production part.... and not find all the similar profile features of varying dimensions?

We have toleranced the feature in with PMI but the "find features" function still finds all the varying connotations.

(Selecting a specific colour is not an option at this time.)

I know with progression we can add maching rules based on dimensions but this would be a long way in the future for us at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

11 REPLIES

Re: Teach Feature - Restrict to specific dimensions of similar profiles

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps a small sample showing the taught feature, and one or 2 that should be found, and 1 or 2 that should not be found?

It's a little hard for me to understand with just a text description.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, no problem.

Feature "A" is taught from a Master model. (Excessive PMI is for test purposes only!)

taught_features_PMI.jpgMaster with PMI

On a sample production part we look for features of type "A" but NX finds a larger feature "B" with same profile, even though we have toleranced the Master feature with PMI and taught the MKE as so.

Our problem is that we only want to find features exactly the same as the Master.

taught_features_1.jpgTest part

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

I'm not familiar with FBM, but have you seen this knowledge tip?

fbm_ttip.png

This snapshot is from 24:27

I guess this is what you are looking for, teaching features with only specific dimensions. (or like between upper and lower limits) 

What is the purpose of having different features for similar shapes?

Is it just to give them different names?

Is it to select special tools?

From my point of view an o-ring is an o-ring despite of its size, but then I don't know the real reason for adding more complexity than needed.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey, dfdfgs, many thanks for your response.

This rule is applied after the features have been recognised. The rule determines the NX Operations to be applied based on certain parameter criteria.

I'm trying to find only the features with specific dimensions, not find them all and then decide on machining rules afterwards unfortunately.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Stefan,

At the moment we have Engineering approved and released CNC programs that are proven and tested for certain features.

These programs are all differnet for many machine tool types and tooling requirements.

A feature of a certain size may be machined differently based on circumstances: machine control, tooling, location of the feature on the part. (Oil and gas industry components are large in size and a feature close to the machine table and near the spindle requires a different program from that for the same feature high up and extended further out.)

The seal feature I have shown can be from 1inch diameter up to 36 inches in diameter and therefore the larger item requires adaptive tooling etc.

So, at this moment in time we already have the tested and released CNC programs. We now just wish to scan through a model and extract the exact feature information. Applying rules may be something for the future.

If you use face attributes, you can also use that  as a filter, just enable to also include attributes in the recognition rule and remove the ones that are not important.

Below find a rule that also checks for a specific attribute.

groove_wema -->>
	match(torus(Tor1,-)),
	match(Tor1,convex(any,E1),border(any(Brd1))),
	match(Tor1,convex(any,E2),border(any(Brd2))),
	{ 
		attribute('MWL_WNS_GROOVE',[Tor1])=attribute('MWL_WNS_GROOVE',[Tor1]),
		parameter('RADIUS')=dimension(radius,nom,[E1]),
		parameter('DEPTH')=dimension(distance,nom,[E1,E2]),
		parameter('START_DIAMETER')=dimension(diameter,nom,[E2]),
		parameter('DIAMETER_1')=dimension(diameter,nom,[E1]),
		parameter('FACES_GROOVE_WEMA')=role([Tor1]),
		parameter('POSITION')=csys(pnt_zdir_xdir,-,-,[point(center,[E1]),direction(two_points,[point(center,[E2]),point(center,[E1])]),direction(two_points,[point(center,[E1]),point(start,[E1])])])
	}

This rule only matches toroidal faces that also have the MWL_WNS_GROOVE attribute applied.

To see the code generated through feature teaching, use the admin mode switch described in the MKE help file.

To access the MKE help file open MKE and select "Help Topics" from the Help menu. I also recommend to read through the entire MKE help file to get a better view about MKE and FBM in general.

The command line to start MKE in admin mode would be like:

"%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\machining_knowledge_editor\bin\MkEditor.exe" -mode admin

The is no description of the recognition language syntax and there will never be.

I would advice to only remove the lines with extra attribute information to not corrupt the recognition.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi, you have 2 options to get what you want:

1. (my recommendation): Stick to one recognition rule and use Teach Feature Mapping.

So you teach a Feature G with no size restrictions. Then you teach mapping rules for derived types like this:

map GtoA if Radius = x

map GtoB if Radius = y

This gives you max flexibility: you have single source for recognition. Be sure to switch the mapping On when Find Features.

2. Add extra annotation to the master features that you teach:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12.0.1/nx_help#uid:xid1128418:index_mfgholemaking:id...

Annotate.JPG

That will generate extra checking in the recognition recipe. You can view that in the MKE when you are admin:

Capture2.JPG

Now there's a little issue if you would like to use the "=" this does not work now. You can workaround by manually adding this:

Capture3.JPG

Cheers,

Reinier Capelle
NX CAM Development - Customer Success

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey Reinier,

Thanks for you reply.

Your option number 2, although not the proper accepted process, looks exactly like what we are looking for at this time.

However, I am having problems getting this to work correctly.

I initially tried this in NX8.5, our current Production version of NX, and feature recognition fails on a syntax error regarding "<=".

At this point I decided to test in NX11, our NX version currently under test at the moment.

Teaching from the Master feature model was successful as I can see all the information in the MKE - admin mode.

However, trying to then find the exact same feature that had just been taught was unsuccessful??

This is the code at this point from the MKE -

recog_fail2.jpg

The actual feature dimension measured in NX is 2.58523" -

actual_feature_dim.jpg

So, the above coding should work? But NX11 does not find the same feature that has just been used to teach??

As a further test I changed the code from GTE >= to LTE <= 2.59.

recog_pass.jpg

This works successfully and finds the taught feature in NX11!! It seems to accept LTE <=, but not GTE >= ??

As a further test I then altered the code to what we were initially looking for with both GTE and LTE -

recog_fail.jpg

This also fails.

I tried opening up the dimension rules to just GTE 2.0 and LTE 3.0 - this fails also.

Further testing shows that anything with GTE does not work, LTE works okay?

Can you assist?

Thanks in advance.

Craig.

Learn online

Solution Information