cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template Image

Genius
Genius
Hi all,

I have decided to add a new operation to the hole_making.prt called "Boring".
In order to give it a better look, I added a reference by using the attribute CAM_PICTURE to ... oper_boring.1x....bmp . This works.
As a nice side effect the icon gets changed, too. The image that it uses seems to come from an operation of the drilling.prt .
Knowing, drilling is on critical maintenance, Where does the icon image come from? I'd like to become independent of it. I couldn't find it in the NX installation directory.

Best whishes,
Joachim
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3
13 REPLIES

Re: Template Image

The icon is a name match to the template object.

For example, if you create an operation my_drilling in a template, the system will search for an icon named "my_drilling". The search path is like other UI icons - first it searches the internal library, then the user icons in UGII_BITMAP_PATH.

If you do not want to use the name match, you cna define an additional attribute CAM_ICON.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius
Hi Mark,

I am aware of this. What I don't know is:
For the operation icon I have not created any bitmap called BORING. Still, when I insert the operation it is displayed with another icon. Where is the BORING bitmap icon located?

The thing is, I don't want to need to use the CAM_ICON attribute. But I'd like to know where the BORING bitmap is located in order to copy it to my UGII_BITMAP_PATH.

Best wishes,
Joachim
Best wishes,
Joachim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Most likely because in the "Drill" template part there is an operation "Boring", so it is getting the icon from the place NX stores their icons for CAM objects (which users may not have access to)

Choose a different name for the operation?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

There are thousands of icons in the internal library of the system.

These are not seen as files in the installation - they are built in to the code.

In this case, there is an internal bitmap named "boring", so that is used.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius
Hi Mark,

please consider putting the drilling.prt related icons e.g. ..MACH/resource/template_parts/images. When Siemens stops their support for that I'd like to keep on using some of the images for hole_making.prt operation templates.

Best wishes,
Joachim
Best wishes,
Joachim

JSchraitle wrote:

please consider putting the drilling.prt related icons e.g. ..MACH/resource/template_parts/images. When Siemens stops their support for that I'd like to keep on using some of the images for hole_making.prt operation templates.

We don't have any plans to remove the internal icons, even if a fuction goes on critical maintenance or is retired. So "our" icons should always be in the system. If you want specific "create" dialog icons, or want to use them as a starting point to customize your own, let me know and we can provide them.

The template_parts/images folder is used for OOTB tooltip images.

Preview images are in the same folders as the parts (template_parts/metric, /english) because they have different colors for english and metric.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Additional to this I have another problem. I have copied the template-file hole_making.prt and saved it with my own name. Then I have copied the operation DRILLING and saved it under DRILLING_OWN. If I don't create a DRILLING_OWN.bmp in my Bitmap-Folder I get another drilling-Icon if I call the template, but not the same from the original-DRILLING-Operation. If I create an icon with the name DRILLING_OWN.bmp I get a message that the opening of the bitmap-file failed. What's wrong? What's the right size for this BMPs? Is there something new what we should know? In past I did this very often and it allways worked. I use NX10.0.1.4 MP1

Actually, I have more important things to do than to worry about such trivialities.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is no need to rename the template in my opinion.

See Creating custom operations in the default template prt files for a way to specify the OOTB icon.

So you would just add the attribute CAM_ICON with the value drilling to the operation to get the OOTB icon for the operation.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry. I've tried a lot now.

My findings:

• CAM_ICON does not work. I don't get the right bitmaps.
  • I have to leave NX, then the bitmaps were found if the name of the bitmap is identical with the operation-name but without specification of CAM_ICON
  • In further versions the bitmap was shown at once after I've changed it.

We work under Teamcenter. Perhaps this is the reason for this all.

Please try it yourself.

Learn online

Solution Information