Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Template to automate non-native (stp) file tapped hole operations

First, hi to everyone from a new user, great to be here!

Then the question:

We deal with a lot of imported non-native files (stp/sat). These don't include thread information, typically a threaded hole will just have the drill size modeled (c. 2.4mm for M3 etc.) Sometimes the model will have a chamfer, often not.

What would be the easiest method to get an automated process for these holes, typically M3, M4 and M5? I'd like to point and shoot and perhaps specify the drill depth sometimes. The operation would include drilling, chamfering to a set depth and tapping to eg. 1.5mm less than the drill depth. 

We usually use form taps which gives an extra twist; hole making as an operation reports gouges when the hole is drilled with an oversized tool. Can this be prevented in the same template?

Many thanks in advance & greetings from Finland

Harri Joy

TAs Machine Tools Ltd

9 REPLIES

Re: Template to automate non-native (stp) file tapped hole operations

Which NX release do you use?

Do you use FBM or not?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

NX 10.0.3, would prefer to use fbm, but could do legacy too.

Harri
Solution
Solution
Accepted by MarkRief (VIP)
‎05-03-2016 12:54 PM

You could mark the faces as threads and then map the simple holes to threaded holes with the needed thread parameters in FBM.

See the tag faces command for one way to prepare the solid for FBM.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thanks Stefan, will give this a try. Is this the only/best way or do I have further options?

Terve. I agree FBM with feature mapping is the recommended best practise.

There is an example mapping rule in the installed content which maps a recognized hole to a metric thread hole, on the condition that the hole color is yellow (color number 6).

This is just an example, but it does give you a basis for further customization if needed.

The name of the example rule is map_S1H_with_Colored_Thread.

You can inspect in the Machining Knowledge Editor in tab Feature Mapping.

Reinier Capelle

NX CAM Development

NX CAM Machinery and Automation

Your options depend on how much automation you want. 

If you have only 3 specific tapped holes, and they each have a fixed process, and the programmer can identify them manually, you could easily start with a geometry group template that contains the operations for each hole. Then you just create the geometry group, select the holes, and generate.

If you want the system to identify the sizes and types of holes, and select the process for each, then you are better off to use FBM as suggested above. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark

What would be the correct way to save those geometry groups and import into future files

Say you had a "template" file with these groups set up for each hole size.

Hole_Group_4-40

>Spot Drill

>Drill

>Tap

Would it be possible to "import" this into a new file (It would bring the tools along with it) and then just select the geometry. I tried having a "master" file I would copy and paste from but it didnt last long before it was "corrupted".

NX11.0.1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by MarkRief (VIP)
‎05-03-2016 12:54 PM

Dstryr wrote:

Mark

What would be the correct way to save those geometry groups and import into future files

Say you had a "template" file with these groups set up for each hole size.

Hole_Group_4-40

>Spot Drill

>Drill

>Tap

Would it be possible to "import" this into a new file (It would bring the tools along with it) and then just select the geometry. I tried having a "master" file I would copy and paste from but it didnt last long before it was "corrupted".

You can copy/paste, but if you want to reuse this a lot, I would make it a template.

In the part where the process is saved, set the template settings so that the group is a template, and not load with parent; and the operations are load with parent and not a template. In your work part, create geometry, select/browse the part where the process is, and you should see your group as a geometry subtype. 

Take a look at this video on creating templates - it has a process for machining pockets with 3 operations. You can do the same thing, but use a hole geometry group.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Many thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I'll be looking into both options.

Harri

Learn online

Solution Information