cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Automation for NX CAM

Genius
Genius
Hello,

my company continuously releases NX to gain benefits by using latest NX manufacturing developments in production.

To free IT administration from repetitive testing tasks I am looking for an exchange about test automation with NX. I know that e.g. SQS is strong in the area of Teamcenter testing, but haven't heared about experiences with NX.

Any experiences with test automation in NX? Siemens, what are you using for user tests?
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3
6 REPLIES

Re: Test Automation for NX CAM

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

JSchraitle,

I handle some of the customer workflow testing in NX CAM. Perhaps you and I can exchange contact information and can talk about how my testing can help with your proposal.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I can't respond in full right now (middle of a meeting) but I'll try to follow up soon with what testing I do.

I think I'd also be interested in what Siemens does.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In general an automated test running as a batch process will have different results than a user in an interactive session and vice versa.

We usually have some standard parts, where we create the entire machining process from scratch in the new release. This way we also find problems where settings are not inherited properly, for instance from the default cut depth of the main dialog to all ranges in the cut level dialog.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What I test for NX upgrades is mostly post related, and deals with "upgrade" issues (what happens to existing parts), rather than "recreate from scratch" issues (e.g. operation template changes).

I have a set of test parts I use to do this.  Mostly these are the parts I use to test the posts, but there are some user/production parts that I steal for specific cases. 
Also, I am primarily checking for changes from "Current" to "New" NX versions, not changes from any prior NX versions that parts may be "last saved" in (e.g. if I am upgrading from NX 10 to 12, I don't test changes from parts last saved in NX 7.5).
Note I keep these parts separate from all other files, so they don't get changed without my knowing about it. The directory structure is duplicated for each NX version,
so I can always go back to the "current version" file (in current version of NX) to check things out.
My general procedure:
1) Open each part in the "current" NX version
2) (optional) Post the "NC_Program" group (or other as appropriate for file/post)
3) Regenerate all operations in the the "current" NX version & save the part
4) Post the "NC_Program" group
5) (optional) Compare output of steps 2 & 4
6) Clone the parts from the "current" version folders to the "new" version folders
7) Open each part in the "new" version & save
8) Post the "NC_Program" group
9) "save as" the part as a new name in same folder (e.g. original part might be "ABC.PRT", it would be saved as "ABC_Regen_In_NX12.prt")
10) Regenerate all operations in "Saved as" part
11) Post the "NC_Program" group and save the part
12) Compare output from steps 4 & 8 (this sees what changes when parts are opened in the new version, without anything else being done, and primarily finds "refile/upgrade" & post-related issues, as internal toolpath should not be changed)
13) Compare output from steps 8 & 11 (this sees what happens when operations get generated in the new version)
14) (if time allows) save all posts in the new version of Post Builder
15) (if time allows) Open the "Saved as" parts & post the "NC_Program" group with the posts saved in the new version of PB
16) (if time allows) Compare output from steps 11 & 15 (this tests what happens when post filed in new PB version)

NX stuff is all automated using Journals
Comparison stuff is done using .BAT files and comparison utility.
After I log all the changes (in Excel spreadsheet), I'll go back & see what I can fix & where (can I fix the issue in the post? or what do I have to change in the operation to fix it?)
Needless to say, this process generates lots of IRs
If operations need to be changed, I try to document generic procedures for users.

Note I also save anything written to the "info" window (either by the journals or posts) & compare that.

Hope this helps...Ken

Genius
Genius
Thank you all.

Still, I think about it twofold:
A: Interactive Tests: I desire creating test procedures that click thorugh NX CAM parts and check the result. This is currently my main concern. Let me check what Siemens does in this area.
B: We have customized most TCLs and have set up a whole CAM environment for each department with its specific needs. Because, this is mostly my job I think I have a pretty clear picture about what could be automated. A diff tool helps a lot although sometimes I find it too tedious selecting so many files for comparison.
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

A diff tool helps a lot although sometimes I find it too tedious selecting so many files for comparison.

That's what the .BAT files are for :-)

Learn online

Solution Information