Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Text encoding of Information window in NX9 causes problems to Vericut/DNC/Machine tool controls

Hello All,

We have recently upgraded from NX75 to NX9 under a managed Teamcenter environment and we are now experiencing text encoding issues with the output extracted from NX in our downstream tools such as Vericut, DNC systems and on various Machine controls.

Basically we operate with CAM data management switched on, where by the CNC .tap files are created within a dynamic location on the TMP drive. If we then save the part file, the CNC .tap files are then automatically imported into TC under the MENCMaching reference.

But the common and easiest practice that we operate is to export the CNC data from the information window opened by virtue of List Output option settings.

Unfortunately under NX9 this information window now encodes the text in Unicode with a ‘Byte Order Mark’ which it didn't previously do under NX75. Interestingly the data within Teamcenter is encoded as   Western European (Windows).

I know the corrected way to export the data for a machine tool is via Teamcenter, exporting out of the information window is a lot easier.

Finally I guess my questions is, does anyone know a setting that will configure the encoding of the information window within NX?

7 REPLIES

Re: Text encoding of Information window in NX9 causes problems to Vericut/DNC/Machine tool controls

You can always add a dialog to the "end of program" event in the post, that closes the output file & asks the user "Do you want to copy this posted file to another folder?" and then does the appropriate thing.

As the post knows the location of the file, it is relatively easy to implement.

Personally, I would *never* use the info window for anything other than viewing purposes.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: Text encoding of Information window in NX9 causes problems to Vericut/DNC/Machine tool controls

There is no user control for the character encoding in the Info window. This was upgraded a couple years ago to support multinational character sets.

The Information Window is a UI to display information, and the contents should not be captured and used to provide G-code. To get the output of the post, you should use the output files written by the postprocessor. Like Ken says, don't do it.

If you really want to interact with a text listing, as suggested, open the output file or files in a text editor when the post completes. There are several samples of this around - let me know if you need one. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark /Ken

Thank you very much for responding to my question, whilst I agree with your comments on the use of the Information Window to export G-code, from a users perspective the easiest approach is to hit the Postprocessing button and perform a Save-As on the code within the window that is opened as apart of the transaction. With no DNC connection the route to save the part causing the G-code to be sucked into TC and then perform a series of TC menu operations is a painful route. The alternative route to find it within a dynamic TMP structure is just as bad.

Thanks again

Jason

As I said, you can add some code to the post to ask the user if they want the posted output file copied to (wherever) for DNC.  As the post knows the full path, it can copy the file for you.  I'm not sure how your DNC system is organized, but by using the post name, you can even put the file in the proper folder for that machine.

I (almost) *never* list the posted file to the info window.  (Although I do re-define the ENV variables TMP and TEMP to point to C:\Temp, just to make finding the files easier) 

Yes, I (and the 30 or 50 other NC programmers) do work in a TC environment.  The "copy the posted file" routine I add to all my posts makes life much easier for the programmers.

Ken

My approach to this (with teamcenter as well) is to empty the output file or put messages about success of posting in the info window - and open the posted output in a custom editor. I have experimented with a couple of editors that I found free code for. I still do not have something I am happy with. My idea was that "release" of posted code could be tracked - maybe some auto doc or revisions could be stored - and the file could be placed in appropriate place. I want to have control of the interface (menus or toolbar.) Maybe it would be nice to show other versions and have an integrated diff utility. We also find that saving the file back (as a miscellaneous file on closing) to TC is not very usefull.

Launching an executable and allowing NX to finish posting has been a challenge at times. It seems that occasionally NX hangs up. I haven't tested this lately - there are a few threads out there mentioning the problems (if you are interested.)

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

All, Thanks for offering your option and suggestions on this topic. Whist I understand a "Fix" to our unofficial working practice can be implemented in a Postprocessor, we have in excess of 200 PP which are quite strictly controlled. Again I know this could be handle in one place, but I'm always reluctant to roll out a custom "User" process , as this in the past has been used against us when reporting IR's to GTAC.

I was hoping the solution would be just a setting change and not to re-educate our users with a complicated process or implement custom coding.

Does anyone know if there is a setting to control the info window (List Output) option as having this appear is too much of a temptation for our users (including me)?

Jason

If nothing else...

You could always

global mom_output_file_full_name 
MOM_output_to_listing_device "mom_output_file_full_name = $mom_output_file_full_name"

at the end of your posts.

You would have to scroll up from the listed code, but the users could paste the full name into Windows Explorer to open it with the "default" application.

You could do some tcl to just get the path, and pasting the pathe into Windows Explorer will get you to the correct folder.

A LOT easier than hunting it down manually.

Note another thing my "after posting" dialog allows users to do is use a compare utility (e.g. WinMerge) to compare the just-posted file to previous versions out in our (native mode) DNC area.  So before it gets copied, they have a chance to review the changes they are about to make.

Hope this helps...Ken

Learn online

Solution Information