Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread milling - thread direction

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

We can specify thread feature by symbolic thread, or select one from the table - in such cases we can decide - right or left handed thread.

In case we select only cylindrical face I want to mill left handed thread.

It is possible to switch it tpo left handed?

I dont know how to do that.

aa.JPG

Thank you

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Thread milling - thread direction

Phenom
Phenom

It seems you can override everything as long as you use "From Table". Maybe this would do it for you?

thread.jpg

Gears Phenom

Hi,

Yes, "from table" -I agree.

Also "from model" + if you select symbolic thread/or threaded hole (it contains setting for direction) - there is possible to select right or left.

bb.JPG

But if you select "from model" and select only face, there is only righ hand - what I am trying to change

Or do you think I am missing something ?

/so question 2./ In table - are there every size of the thread? Or could we add some more sizes? Just curious.

thank you

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry @Juraj, haven't got an answer. As you say, selecting face with "From Model" locks the direction.

The table doesn't have all possible threads, so it would be nice to have the possibility to add or edit the threads. However, all the parameters may be overridden, so I guess you can cut any thread, as long as you choose "From Table" and manually input all the parameters.  

Gears Phenom

Hi, understand. just asking.

Thank you for reactions @hjoy

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Maybe good to mention that "From Model" locks the direction to the "designed" direction as defined by the symbolic thread.

In case you have included a left and a right handed thread into your operation it will machine a left and a right handed thread, see image, one starting at the bottom, one at the top (engage in ""yellow", retract in white)ThreadMixLeftRight.JPG

(Note that it will be associative to the designed thread direction within the symbolic thread, on change of thread direction wiithin the symbolic thread it will change path direction on regenerate)

Thanks,

Toon

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It is possible to add thread sizes to the table (or edit the params of the existing ones)

The "installed" location of these files are:

%UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII\modeling_standards

If you want to edit them, I suggest editing them in another (shared) location (rather than in t he installed location) to prevent issues if future MRs/MPs over-write your changes.  Then set these ENV variables correctly: 

- UGII_SCREW_CLEARANCE_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR

- UGII_THREADED_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR

- UGII_DRILL_SIZE_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR

If you don't have a custom environment already, I suggest using the "NX Custom" setup available here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/NXcustom-Utilitie...

If you search the GTAC solutions center, and/or there forums, for the file names in that folder (or the folder name) you should find a few other threads on threads ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information