Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tilt Tool Axis Settings - Experience Values

Anyone use this feature a lot and can share some insight for smooth toolpaths?
I just got a Yasda machine with a Fanuc 31i controller and it is a little rough but this is the first time using Tilted Tool Axis operation.

2016-10-17_1113.png

NX11.0.1
6 REPLIES

Re: Tilt Tool Axis Settings - Experience Values

Still interested to hear some stuff on this subject but my problem was solved. I did not realize I forgot to turn on 1000 block look ahead with G5P10000

NX11.0.1

180 degrees per step is much too large a value. Normally I don't go above 5 degrees on a setting like that. You generally want more tool vectors to produce smoother motion. I'm not sure on the other setting...

Thank you

While i have been using NX since version 8.5 to do 3+2 milling I have just recently in the last 2 years bought 2 full 5 axis machines (1 grob and 1 yasda) so I'm still learning how to do full "5 axis"

NX11.0.1

[ Edited ]

I've only been using NX for about a year, but I've programmed with Mastercam for almost 20, including lots of vector-based multi-axis. Unless machine memory is limited, I recommend using lots of tool vectors in a simultaneous path where all linear and rotary axes are moving. That is "in cut" motion though. I'm not sure if this setting inside NX will also output multiple vectors for rotary repositioning. If that is the case (movement is to position the part, and is not "cutting" motion) then I could see where a setting of '180 degrees' might be beneficial, as it would allow a single positioning move. Otherwise you'll get a ton of 5 degree rotary moves, on sequential lines, just to make a reposition move. I believe the other setting looks to see "how far the tool has traveled" and it will insert extra vector positions when the specified distance is exceeded. As a "% of tool diameter", the size of the tool is proportional to the vector distance. Say for example that you program a cut that travels 200 mm, with a 12mm Dia tool. At "30%" on that setting, the path should output a vector every 4mm or so along the path. (Ok, 3.6mm)

If you need smoth toolpath - use Cut Step values, by default it 30% tool diam. If you set smaller values - toolpath will be more smooth. I never use max and min tilt angles.

Thank you guys!

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information