cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tilt Tool Axis

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

In the picture below you can see an operation that is supposed to clean up the corner.
Its a cavity mill operation and I want to use the tilt tool axis function to make sure I can reach the bottom of the cavity without a collision.

image.png

After the tilt tool axis function is done calculating I get the following message.

image.png

There are lots of retract lines and there are portions of the toolpath removed.
When I check the result the tool should have enough clearance to do the whole operation.

Annyone a idea what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
Sven

NX11.0.1
4 REPLIES

Re: Tilt Tool Axis

Legend
Legend

I would divide the model into a section that describes where your previous tool couldn't reach and use a positioned 3d area milling to mill out the corner

Cavity mill with tilt tool axis should only have "retract" as an option and wont tilt away

NX11.0.1

I would generate the cavity milling operation with collision checking OFF, and then tilt tool axis. See if this gives you what you want.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank for the help Dstryr and Mark!

The problem was that tilt tool axis inherrits the tool en holder clearance from the rest mill operation.

I had change it to a smaller value but the next time I used the tilt tool axis command I diden't notice that the value was reset.

I ended up changing the clearance in the rest milling operation and now everything is working.
Attached there is the working operation, maybe anyone in the future can check it if they have problems.

Regards,
Sven

NX11.0.1

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I am happy you fugured it out. Indeed the excessive clearance for tool components is a root cause for suce issues. another cause (for others that may hit this in the future) is the max angle from rotary axis. in most cases that represents the A or B axis max range. i.e. 110 for Hermle. the default 45 will limit the system capability to find colision free angles. this default can be changed from the customer defaults.

the clearances are inharitted from the operation, but should allow local change. I think that the issue you face where the values are not preserved was fixed, I'll check it and will let you know.

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Learn online

Solution Information