Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tool Library Management

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you use different .bat files, then you have to close NX and restart it to get the different configuration.

Using the configuration .DAT files you don't.

Note you can also use a Journal to reset *some* ENV variables (most of the CAM folder ones are OK to set in a journal.  Others, however, are only read when NX starts, so setting them while a session is active doesn't work).

Also, you only have one "\MACH\resource" tree to maintain (e.g. when you apply a MR or MP).

And speaking of updates, if you name everything with different name (e.g. "Riva_CAM_CONFIG.Dat") it makes it much easier to determine what you modified vs. using the "out of the box" file names where you have to look IN the file to see if you changed anything.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

And what about FBM?

You confirme that with different machines with different tool libraries there is no possibility to connect a tool library with a machine.
The best way is to create different MKE for each machine/tool library?
Or probably I can create a single MKE and it will work with different  tool library ( with different customization folder or with different .bat)

Can you suggest me the ebst way to work?

Highlighted

What is the real difference between the tools, so you know that they are valid only for one machine?

We do support multiple machines with only one tool library and the difference is the holding system (HSK 63A, HSK 63F, HSK 100A, HSK 50A, HSK 50E, etc.).

I never had a need to specify tools based on machine selection and I really doubt, that separate tool libraries per machine are the way to go, since things are getting really complicated.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'll try to explain you with an example because I consider very important different tool libraries for each machine:

I have 2 machines:

Machine 1
tool store: 15 tools

Machine 2
tool store: 30 tools

The tools store are defined and we don't change the tools between the machines. So it isn't important the holder system or any other charateristic.

Now, I want to use FBM. As you know the FBM will look for the tool appropriate in the tool librariy  but if I want to work, for example, with the machine 1, FBM could choose a tool in the tool store of the machine 2 because I have a single tool libraries with all tools about machine 1 and machine 2.

I hope you can understand the issue. For this reason it should be important define different tool libraries for each machine.

The tool library is not the tool carrier on the machine, it contains the entire available tools on the shop floor.

For FBM I would suggest to do the following:

1. add all available tools to the tool library
  2. create two template parts, one for each machine
  3. the template parts contain the tools loaded into the machine, already retrieved from the library

FBM will always use the library tools available in the current part first, before it will retrieve a new one from the library, this was introduced in NX 8.5

The library is always generic and doesn't apply to any machine, it always contains all the tools available at the site.

If you still think you need to be able to distinguish between the too machines inside of the library, I would add a custom attribute to each tool class and use that to retrieve the tools based on the machine used.

Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Now I understand the situation, and @Stefan_Pendl is correct - preloaded tools should go in the setup template for each machine, preloaded in to the pockets. 

If you really need multiple tool libraries for some other reason, you need to create a CAM configuration for each one.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

Is there a way to manage a "template" file across multiple machines?

Say you have a template with 40 tools preloaded but for some reason you need to change things around.

However your old programs are already done using those 40 tools.

Is there a way to link the files so that the tool magazine is update across files? So if you open another old file later on it will tell you "Hey... someone moved tools around and some are missing"

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

No, tools that are statically loaded into a part file are not subject to change.

I have not had time to check if using a device as the tool carrier would make a difference, which might be a way to get tools updated in older parts too.

Stefan / Mark -

I have not played with FBM hardly at all, so I may be asking the wrong question ;-)

If I preload the tools into the template part, what does FBM do if it can't find a tool it needs in the template part, but there is one in the tool library that would work (e.g. a tap or a drill)

Does it limit itself to ONLY the tools in the template part, and report "I can't do this feature as there is no appropriate tool"?

Or does it grab the tool from the library, even tho it is not in the template part?

Thanks...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

@Ken_A wrote:

Stefan / Mark -

I have not played with FBM hardly at all, so I may be asking the wrong question ;-)

If I preload the tools into the template part, what does FBM do if it can't find a tool it needs in the template part, but there is one in the tool library that would work (e.g. a tap or a drill)

Does it limit itself to ONLY the tools in the template part, and report "I can't do this feature as there is no appropriate tool"?

Or does it grab the tool from the library, even tho it is not in the template part?

Thanks...Ken

FBM will look inthe work part first, and it there is no tool that satisfies the query, it will retrieve from the library. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information