Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tool Library

I've been watching videos on Customizing CAM, and the Manufacturing Resource Library.  I also saw that a few months ago, Siemens and Kennametal partnered up to offer their tooling catalog via the GTC.  This sounds ideal, as we are partners with Kennametal.

In my past, I only dealt with the ascii tool_database.dat file.  

So my question is, how soon will this partner ship of the Manufacturing Resource Library and Kennametal happen?  Is Manufacturing Resource Library an additional product license we will need?  and lastly, will all of this work with Teamcenter?  or is there a better way for us to look into?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
7 REPLIES

Re: Tool Library

MRL is a Siemens product and works with Teamcenter. Your partner or Siemens representative can fill you in on that. 

The tool catalogs come directly from the vendors, so you need to ask your Kennametal representative for ISO 13399 /GTC data.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

How would it be done without MRL?  via the ascii file still?  are there libraries out there to import into that?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

As far as I know, outside MRL you have TDK and the text tool libraries.

I'm not sure if Janus has something or not.

Mark may know of others.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

And the text libraries you have to do on your own (note if you understand them, you can directly edit the text files).

And people have posted about using an Excel spreadsheet to manage everything, and then macros to export the text library files.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Dave.
Not sure if this helps...but you might want to take a look at this sofware...

http://www.rouwe-analysis.info/

It converts NX tooldatabase.dat file into a comma separated file which can be edited in Microsoft Excel...

Kal.
Note: Never used it...it came up in a thread on eng-tips years ago...

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

[ Edited ]
Hi Dave, I am assuming you are looking to manage tools in Teamcenter integrated environment and not in native NX. If my assumption is right, then you need 'Resource manager' (part of Teamcenter classification) license. I do not have experience of using vendor catalogue and tools into Teamcenter, so can not comment on that. We normally download 3D models of the tools from vendor's website, create part and assemblies in NX, classify these in Teamcenter, make them as standard tool (each assembly and individual parts as well) tools. You can have many assemblies as standard from same standard individual parts base don usage. Once you done this, all tools are available in NX to use in operation and you access it through 'retrieve tools from library' dialogue.
BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Hello,

Manufacturing Resource Library (MRL) is Resource Manager's successor. It does all of the decribed above and more. It can also read cutting tool data directly from tool vendors in ISO 13399/GTC format. Currently Sandvik, Kennametal and Iscar can provide such data.

Marcel Keinan

Siemens PLM

Manufacturing Engineering Product Management

Learn online

Solution Information