Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tool Number Default Value

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

When creating a new tool (etc. mill or anyone) I want to change the default value.

I tried from template parts but didn't.

How I change the default tool number?

1.JPG

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Tool Number Default Value

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

We use Pockets and inherit the tool number and offsets from the pocket.  This make it easier when we need to re-order tools.  You should be able to have the tool number and offsets in a template tool.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

I 2nd what John said; using carriers and pockets is the way to go.  You can create them in your template parts and also create various parts for different situations and automate importing them with journals.

NX 12.0.2

PLM World Member Phenom

We have templates for machines that bring in the carrier, pockets and standard tools.  One tip : make sure you set the tool capacity in the pocket more thatn 1, the default value. 

Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect

You can also leave the pocket capacity set to one if you have the need to create tools manually; then tools will automatically populate the next pocket when they are created.  Be sure to set the Tool Numbers to inherit the pocket information.

NX 12.0.2

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The pocket capacity is lots of fun.

My preference is > 1 (so you can directly drag/drop tools if switching pockets - no need to drag tool A from pocket 1 to pocket 3, then tool B from pocket 2 to pocket 1, then tool A from pocket 3 to pocket 2, to switch tools in pocket 1 & 2)

But (as noted) then you lose the "auto" populate feature.

Note for machines with tool changers/many tools (typically mills) I omit pockets altogether (to me, they "get in the way").  I'd just rather have the tools themselves.  I *do* have to define tool numbers, but I leave adjusts set to 0 (zero) and have the post auto-set the length and/or dia adjusts to the tool number, if they are zero. (or whatever is appropriate for the machine)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi experts,

Thanks for your all answers. But I don't want to do this with Pocket numbers.

The pocket number way is not safe. Because the user could forget when creating a new tool.

I am a bit confused, maybe you can send a video for understanding the pocket way.

But still, the method I want, when I create a tool I want to see the tool number that I set. (from templates- or my new defaults)

PLM World Member Phenom

Using pockes is only an option.

You should get the Tool Number from the template if was defined there.  Make sure the tools in the template are set that "Object can be used as a template".  

template.JPG

There some videos in the Tech Tips on templates

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX-Manufacturing/How-to-cre...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX-Manufacturing/Streamline...

Senior Aerospace

Learn online

Solution Information