Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Optimization with multiple parts

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I was wondering if there was a recommended or better way to organize my cutting tool when machining multiple parts? Currently when I copy and paste with reference, it doesn't even paste with my in the right order in the program order navigator. I was wondering if anyone had a good way to keep all the tool organized and minimize the tool changes without have to reorder all my operations. 

I'd like the tool to jump from part to part before changing. The optization doesn't do a good enough job at this and it sometimes reorders my tool in an undesirable way. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

11 REPLIES

Re: Tool Optimization with multiple parts

Genius
Genius

Yes, this can be very problematic. Did allot of multiple part tombstone programming.

And yes "paste inside with reference" seems to spread the copies all over with no real rhyme or reason.

I have not figured if it is process type or geometry parent that causes so many of the oddities.

I do know, to re-sort 300-400 processes, it can take a few hours...

My best helper was to put a code on the end of the process description before copying (XXX-P1, XXX-P2, etc.)

then I could grab them and group them.

I agree optimize is pretty useless.

Marek at NCmatic has a plug-in for path sorting. If I were still doing this type of work I would grab it for sure.

Best Regards, Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Legend
Legend

I actually was the one who had marek build this original renaming tool to help organize but it doesn't solve the problem with NX and multi part programming.

I think the real solution is to just handle it with the post and program a single part and just have NX and the post figure out the rest.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Genius
Genius

I'm actually very impressed with the way NX tracks the multiple parts and runs the IPW's on each.

If it were just done by macro counts I could miss something here and there. order of operations would be forced.

This way I can move stuff around. Stick in some special tool path... Example face 2 parts in one pass with a bigger tool.

See and simulate what really happens. I can re-arrange to make better use of movements and still prove out via real world simulation.

Most of our work was not flat plate and common, paste inside with ref. works no matter what the part orientation, mirrored, clocked, on different tombstone sides... doesn't matter, so I'd have to make a loop macro for every different scenario.

But per my previous comment I do not like at all... the intermittent order these tool paths come out, some are decent. some are spread throughout the whole program, some are bunched up at the end.

Even in my old wire frame SmartCam I had a couple copy options... either one path after another, or grouped by tools (which was my preferred), but scattered willy-nilly was not an option...

Paul S.

Legend
Legend

I agree the concept behind the paste with reference is a good one but I have gave up using it... I have found a lot of bugs and just went back to using instancing. I do a lot of complex parts but for doing multiples on the tombstone its almost always just rotated around the tombstone axis. I have the same workholding around all the 4 sides so I dont have to deal with rotated parts or anything like that so I can see your concern there

If you have a post driven solution and simulation inside nx you can define multiple workpieces and multiple blanks and simulate the actual g code if thats what you were saying you would be missing?

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Genius
Genius

If you had a post driven multiple work piece SU. You could simulate it. I'm sure you would see machine motion.

But only the first workpiece will get cut IPW.

So if I nipped another part or rapidid thru stock. Going from part to part, I would never know. No IPW in multiple locations

I assume by bugs you mean tool path disappearing when you close and re-open? Or losing paths when posting.

For a while I would count them. If I had 240 processes. I better see line# N240 as the last posted.

They are much better now. It's a bit unnerving I used to just go to the geometry group and regen the first part (workpiece) all would come back

Legend
Legend

Yup those are the bugs I was talking about exactly. And it wouldn't be all toolpaths under the first workpiece all the time....sometimes randomly you would have X out toolpaths that wouldn't post >.<

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Genius
Genius

Yes, It was very random. I showed Gtac whole movies... hours long, but they could'nt replicate

Funny thing was after opening, closing, regen a couple times, they usually would start to "fly right"

Programmer at the old company called... says what's wrong with this model file all the paths have disappeared. I open the exact same copy in 11.0.2... all is fine.

It was a long ride I started using it as soon as it came out in 8. I must have started a dozen IR's

Glad it's working better as a production machinist it is such a great tool, extremely flexible.

Legend
Legend

Do you keep all operations inside one program group? Or do you have many different groups you are trying to copy from?

When you say "paste with reference" do you mean transforming?

I have used <right click operation>object>transform> very successfully. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.1.7 MP1 Primarily CAM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

See pasting operations with reference in the NX documentation. It is used to reuse tool paths for multi-part setups.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Learn online

Solution Information