Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool length with shank

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, i work in NX 10.

I create a two simple tools, first tool (left) with holder, second (right) - with shank and holder. See picture.

This is same tool with diameter 20 mm, length - 60 mm, Holder offset - 10 mm.

Feeds and Speeds lib have a records for this tools, but.

For left tool - retrieve param is right with considering value of the cutter clamp in holder (HOFF)

For right tool - retrieve param for tool with length - 40 mm, because tool have a shank, length - 20 mm, and not considering holder offset.

What's wrong?

5 REPLIES

Re: Tool length with shank

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is a logical error in the Tcl file for F&S.

Change the procedure ASC_get_tool_projection_length in file MACH\resource\library\feeds_speeds\ascii\machining_data.tcl to:

proc ASC_get_tool_projection_length {} {
    global dbc_tool_length
    global dbc_tool_holder_offset
    global dbc_tool_tapered_shank_diameter

if {[info exists dbc_tool_tapered_shank_diameter] && $dbc_tool_tapered_shank_diameter > 0.0} {
        return $dbc_tool_length
    } elseif {[info exists dbc_tool_holder_offset]} {
        return [expr $dbc_tool_length - $dbc_tool_holder_offset]
    } else {
        return $dbc_tool_length
    }
}

The difference is, that OOTB the tapered shank length is used, which can be zero, but the tapered shank diameter cannot be zero.

I have PR#7941276 and PR#7941280 reported for this problem.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I'm not sure I understand the original issue. When calculating feeds and speeds, I don't think the tool length includes the shank. The shank would usually be larger, and we want to look at the length of the small tool diameter for deflection.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The issue is that the condition is based on the length of the tapered part of the shank which can be zero as shown in the images of the OP.

If there is no shank defined, the holder offset must be considered to have the correct protruding length.

If there is a shank defined, then only the tool length must be taken into account.

I have corrected the procedure shipping with NX to get the correct values in situations where there is no taper on a shank. If you do not use the correct condition, you will even get negative values for the protruding length, for example if the tool length is 20 and the holder offset is 30, because the shank length is 40, but not checked correctly.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I make this changes and have a valid result.

MarkRief correctly thinks, tool length not included shank.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Attached find a part file that shows the problem, both tools must produce the same projected length, but they don't.

With Shank TaperWith Shank Taper Without Shank TaperWithout Shank Taper

To get the same projected length one needs to apply the changes outlined above to the mentioned procedure.

Learn online

Solution Information