Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Tool transfer without lifting in Z axis

I'm milling this open pocket and would like to make it so the tool rapids only in X and Y to save time. I tried "direct" but that makes it crash into the blank; I need it to go around the blank to the starting position. Is this possible?

2016-10-26 (1).png

10 REPLIES

Re: Tool transfer without lifting in Z axis

VoluMill does it as default the way you described.
I guess you have to tweak engage and retract motions, to achieve collision free direct transfer move.

Sent from my iPhone
Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.1
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlCLE
‎10-27-2016 06:38 AM

You need to change 2 things to get what you want. First, instead of inheriting a clearance plane, set the clearance to a bounding box. Otherwise the tool will always go to the plane for clearance. The next thing is how the tool gets to the clearance. Instead of forcing it to clear along the tool axis, let it move sideways by setting Clearance - cut plane. 

transfer_around.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Make sure you test this above the part if this is your first try. Most machines are set to dog leg rapid. This will not work.

You will need to make sure you arent dog leg rapid or force your positioning moves into feed moves with a feed the max your machine can handle.

NX11.0.1

That's perfect. Thanks!

Dstryr, thanks also. My machine doesn't sync rapids like feed moves so whichever axis is moving the least will finish moving first and this can cause crashes that don't show in NX. It looks like the path that I'm getting now will move in Y to clear the part first and then over in X on a separate line so it should clear. I will dry run above the part to verify.

Capture.JPG

Regarding the doglegs, many controls have a parameter to interpolate rapid moves. If you do not have that, I would go to the feeds and speeds dialog, and change the Rapid output to G1 - Feed Mode with your max feed rate.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

How to make engage in all passes by  Arc Engagement. Now it is arc type for 1st engagement and linear for rest.

pass_1.jpg

rudra_1005 wrote:

How to make engage in all passes by  Arc Engagement. Now it is arc type for 1st engagement and linear for rest.

pass_1.jpg

In Non Cutting Moves, Transfer/Rapid, Within Regions, change Transfer Using from None to Engage/Retract.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Done.
Thanks Mark.
Is there any method where I can start machining at 45 degree angle to horizontal/vertical axis?

rudra_1005 wrote:

Done.
Thanks Mark.
Is there any method where I can start machining at 45 degree angle to horizontal/vertical axis?

If you are asking about the engage move, then use Linear - Along Vector.

If you are asking about the cutting, you would need a zig or zig-zag pattern, and specify the cut angle.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information