Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpath accuracy in turning

Genius
Genius

In generating toollpath of spheres and radius for finish operation  , code for last  (pp) pass is

N190 G2 X-.4 Z0.0 R.4
N200 G3 X12.623 Z-17.89 R10.13
N210 G1 X11.156 Z-18.505
N220 G2 X9.6 Z-20.442 R2.8

When I manually program the path I have this code

N200 G3 X11.822 Z-18.209 R10.13
N210 G2 X9.6 Z-20.442 R2.8

Why there is linear path between this two blocks (concave to convex transition)?Tolerance for toolpath is 0.001.If toolpath is edited (erased linear move) I can't get this change to be postprocessed.

Untitled.png

4 REPLIES

Re: Toolpath accuracy in turning

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It looks to me that it could be your cutter clearance angles. They are usually set at 2 degrees. You might be better off using a profile tool if you have issues with gouging on the floor.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Genius
Genius

Cutter clearance angle is set at 2 degrees. There should be a warning for  gouging the part if insert is the issue.

Aleksa wrote:

Cutter clearance angle is set at 2 degrees. There should be a warning for  gouging the part if insert is the issue.

There is no warning because there is no gouging. The system adjusted the path to maintain the clearance angles. If you want less clearance, reduce the clearance angles (Cutting Prameters > Strategy > Cutter Clearance Angles), and see if you get the same path as your manual program.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

Although there is no visual indications if you take a closer look that clearance angle is insufficient for clean, accurate toolpath, NX doesn't think so.I would expect toolpath that fallows profil of the part even if that leads to gouging,and turn my attention to change something.In this case toolpath is driven with insert type and tool parameters restrictions, but in some other operations especially for grooving, undercutting and ID operations part profile has stronger influence to drive toolpath ,with respect to insert type,hence indicating to change-adapt insert among other parameters to avoid gouging and to get result that you want.

Thank you guys!

Learn online

Solution Information