Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools Creation and Pockets

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

When I create an option import a tool from the library, is there a way I can insert that tool right into a pocket? I have seperate pockets that are matched up with the pockets on my machines tool crib. It would be awesome if there was a way I could create an operation, pickout a tool and have a thrown into a pocket for the its Tool Number (TXX). When I start an operation I may not use the tool I imagined using so right clicking the pocket and inserting a tool prior to creating the operation isn't always viable. 

Currently, when create an operation and insert a tool from the library, after I'm done setting up its parameters, I have to and drag the tool into the pocket I want it in and then I generate the path. Furthermore when creating the a tool, I don't always know which pockets I have open to designate the tool number to. This is why I use the pockets as they let me see what is free to use. 

I hope this makes sense. If there is a better way to do this, I'm all ears. 

Thanks

12 REPLIES

Re: Tools Creation and Pockets

Legend
Legend

I have a 310 tool machine and what we did was just use 1 pocket. I have a "template" file with everything loaded with the correct tool number.
So start a new file, open template and copy paste all the tools already defined into the pocket. you can easily see which spots are available by tool number gaps.

Then if I add a new tool to the current file that I want to keep track of I will copy that into the "master" file with the correct tool number location.

NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend

I used to use pockets only until I was shown the light by @Marek_Pawlus. Using only 1 pocket and tool numbers has simplified a lot for me.

NX11.0.1

I'm not sure I understand, but let's make sure we know how the system chooses pockets when retrieving tools fromthe library. 

If you retrieve a tool from inside the operation, it will be placed in the first available pocket.

From outside the operation, there are 2 workflows: 

• If you use the Create Tool command, tools will fill the next available pockets, starting with the choice in the Location pull-down.
  • If you select a pocket, right click, insert, tool, the tools will start filling pockets from that location.

From inside an operation, you can not determine the location - is this the issue?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

Mark

The way I read the OP post is that he has certain tools already loaded into the machines in certain pockets. He wants the library tool to inheret that pocket when he loads it in to his setup file.

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Correct.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Yes, that's pretty much sums up my issue.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
How exactly does this work? My machines tool crib is no where near as large as your but as a prototype job shop kind of guy, I frequently change tool. My endmill positions all stay the same and I only change cutters depending on the material of the part. Example T5 in my machine is alway my 1/2" cutter. T1 is my facemill, T7 is always a 1/4" Endmill, etc....

How does your method work?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I apologize, I don't know what happened. My replies are all our of order...

Legend
Legend

You only have 1 pocket

Then just assign the numbers into the tools themselves

You can save them into the library with those numbers as well.

So when you load them in to the pocket the Tool number, H number and D number will always be the same as you saved them.

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information