Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools that change the geometry during the operation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Three months ago I've created an ER for getting a posabillity to work with tools that change the geometry during the operation in NXCAM:

Tools that change the geometry during the operation

Is there in the future a possibility to work with tools, that are changing their geometry during the operation? For example there are tools for back-sinking. You can drive into the hole with CLW spindle without removing material and if they reach a certain position you can change the spindle to CCLW, then a cutter opens and you can go back to remove material. Instead of changing the spindle-direction you can put on the coolant, to open the cutter or what else.

Example:

http://www.heule.com/en/countersinking-tools/

In the moment, with the usual tools you have two options. Either you have a collision or you have no material-removal.

These or similar tools are in use more and more.

Do you have a solution for this in future?

If you also want to have a solution for this, please create also an ER in GTAC to have more power to this topic.

My ER-No. is 9093867. You can refer to this enhancement.

Werner
Production: NX10.0.3, FBM | TcUA 10.1.2.2
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk | Testing: NX12.0
2 REPLIES

Re: Tools that change the geometry during the operation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @jobe

I assume you know that when you have a zero spindle speed you wont get material removal in simulation. I know you still get a reported gouge in this condition but at least the vizualization looks correct. I used a Generic Motion operation with some spindle on/off in the middle of the path to show what I am suggesting. Not a 100% solution I know.

I have attached the part file and video for reference.

Regards

Paul

(view in My Videos)

Re: Tools that change the geometry during the operation

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

NX does have a back countersinking tool and operation that were new in NX11. This is not exactly the same tooling as your link shows, but it is similar.

When you select Create Tool, set the Type to hole_making and find the Back Countersink tool.

Capture1.JPG

Next, for hole geometry that you want to create back countersinking tool path on, select the Back Countersinking operation also under the hole_making Type.

Capture2.JPG

After generating the tool path, you can use Verify Tool Path to see the tool change shape as it machines the countersink. First, the tool will appear stationary as you step it through the portion of the tool path that enters the hole.

Capture3.JPG

Next, as the spindle turns on and the tool begins to cut the chamfer, it will appear to "expand", which is simply showing its shape while rotating.

Capture4.JPG

Will this option help your problem, or were you only looking for something to support the HEULE type tooling?

Learn online

Solution Information