Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim turning cut region to tangent point of insert

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there a way to trim a cut region to the contact point of an insert and not the tip?

Capture.PNG

In the picture above I would like the tool to face up the part and stop exactly at the tangent point of the radius. If I use a radial trim plane at the tangent point then it stops the tool short because it is trimming to the tip of the insert in the X direction. I can work around this by offsetting my trim point the radius of the insert but if someone changes the nose radius in the future then the toolpath will be wrong. In the above picture I have the radial trim plane offset .031 and changed to a .015 rad. insert. As you can see it now wants to swing part of the radius.

I am using faces only and have it set to cut fillets with faces. I am doing this because there is another fillet that I need this toolpath to cut so disabling the cutting of fillets with faces is not an option.

Thanks in advance for your help!

NX 12.0.0 PB 12.0.0
5 REPLIES

Re: Trim turning cut region to tangent point of insert

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Siemens development:

This is another place, that if CAM supported expressions, you could use an expression for the tool nose radius, and then again as the "rectangular offset" of the fillet quadrant point.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer
That is an excellent idea!
NX 12.0.0 PB 12.0.0

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Except CAM doesn't support expressions  :-(

(note I am basing this statement on NX10 - I believe they are thinking about adding some expression support, but I don't know if anything has been released yet, nor whether what you want to do is supported yet...)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Try using Teach Mode. it may take longer time for you then the auto processor, but you can get what you want...

Position tanget to to curves 0 stock on face, .1 stock on diameter

Cut tangent to 2 curves 1st curve face second curve radius chnage Motion Type to Cut.

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 28 08.19.gifScreenHunter_03 Mar. 28 08.21.gifScreenHunter_02 Mar. 28 08.20.gif

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Michael,

I will play around with learning Teach Mode. This shouldn't add too much time since it will only be for finish passes.

NX 12.0.0 PB 12.0.0

Learn online

Solution Information