Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trochoidal Milling Profiles

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I'm looking for a good way to profile my parts using a trochoidal milling pattern. I can get by with what I use but I would like to clean up a lot of my tool path. Currently I use cavity milling with the trochoidal pattern to do this but no matter what settings I use, my path is never optimal. I have been playing around with this for quit some time now. The Z level Profile option does not have a trochoidal option. For the sake of my cutters I would like to achieve a constant stepover when roughing the outside of my parts.

Furthermore, I don'y want to have to purchase 3rd party software like volumill to achieve this. I there anyways to achieve what I have described about above? 

I will attach a video showing the unnecessary tool movements. I will circle with my mouse the areas I'm talking about. 

Thanks. 

47 REPLIES

Re: Trochoidal Milling Profiles

What don't you like in the current path - extra loops?

Can you post a part file with your current path? 

It would make it much easier to try some options that might help.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Its an assembly. Will I have to include the individual parts in the zip files too?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you created wave links from the bodies in the components, then no.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Okay here is what I have. The biggest concern I have is that the tool can not exceed 60% of its step over. This forces me to keep the Stepover Limit % to 100%. Increasing this gets rid of the a lot of the extra tool movements but then it burys my tool to deap. 

I also tried changing the stepover to 30% and then changing the stepover limit to 150% to achieve my goal of never exceeding 60% stepover. This works but it doubles my toolpath. All in all I can not figure out a good way to do this. I don't understand why in many instances, when the tool is leaving the part that it feels the need to circulate out. 5% of the tool could be engage at that moment and it still cirulates. 

Thanks for the help!

Legend
Legend

What kind of material is this?
If it was me and this is a hard material I'd use a 3/8 or 1/2 tool, go full depth and use a 8-10% stepover with a 6 flute tool.

If this is aluminum I'd do the same strategy but bump use a 3flute aluminum cutter and change the stepover to 20%.

Toolpath using Cavity mill and transfer/rapid settings

2016-07-22_0909

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

They're just basic steel. Could you send me the part file you used to program this tool path with. I didn't know without volumill that toolpath like that was possible. I'd like to see how it handles the circular motions with  your setting. This looks really good!!! 

Thank you

Legend
Legend

I have the volumill plugin and while cavity mill isn't perfect for mild steel this will be good.

I bought volumill when I had a huge job in 17-4 and s7 show up. Cycle time drop was maybe 10% compared to a good cavity mill toolpath but the tools lasted a lot longer due to the precise control of the engagement.

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Your path is really good. It still does the weird cut moves in that first corner when its starting off but it evens out later. I really wish there was a way to get rid of that.
What does volumill for nx cost? Can I add machining data to it so I can make custom methods for it and set my speeds and feeds based on those instead of manually typing them in everytime?

Thanks again.

@Dstryr nice job with the trochoidal! You can do quite a bit with this pattern, once you learn to adjust the cutting parameters. 

Since our adaptive milling is coming along nicely, I asked @jkane1 to try it on this part. It's hard to see the cutting path because most of it is below the green low height transfers, so I made a movie to show the material removal.  

(view in My Videos)

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information