Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trying to profile with Y and B axes

We have a 6 axis horizontal mill with a A-C head and a B axis table. I have 2 linked posts which drive it in a A-C, or a A-B configuration. In the A-B configuration, the C axis is locked. I'm trying to profile a cylinder on the B axis centerline (which has a cylindrical floor) by tilting A to -90 and using the B axis and Y axis to contour with the x axis locked at 0, but I haven't figured out how to get a post to output X0 with Y, Z and B coutouring. Any ideas?

Rich Grant
Patriot Machine, Inc.
PB 9.0.2
NX 9.0.2.5
Win 7 Pro
4 REPLIES

Re: Trying to profile with Y and B axes

[ Edited ]

Once trying to use B instead of C in kind of an XZC mode - I think this kinematic situation will not be handled by lock axis or XZC kinematic settings - and is a custom situation that will have to be accomodated in the post code. My guess is that you will have to use PB_CMD_before_motion command and set up the mom_pos and mom_out_angle_pos's yourself (using mom_mcs_goto and mom_tool_axis and kinematic situation.) This can be done with matrix math or if after version NX9 - there is a new command "MOM_convert_point" that may help. Another option is to flip the mcs so it is XZC for this motion - and put the result in appropriate block template axis positions for XYB - I wish there was a way to do this dynamically with post.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

I think I'll attempt this later. I found a work-around to get through temporarily. By tilting the tool axis .0025 degree and cutting a cone, the post was forced to use the b axis to resolve the axis locations. Truncating the output to 4 decimal places puts the A axis back at -90. 

Thanks

Rich Grant
Patriot Machine, Inc.
PB 9.0.2
NX 9.0.2.5
Win 7 Pro

Not tested but how about?

Another linked post. head table AB

No C axis defined

Or change and reload kinematics to above.

I've been trying this, but if the tool axis is parallel to the centerline of the cylinder (Y axis), it wants to use the X and Z to profile the cylinder rather than the B axis. The X seems to take precendence over rotary axes

Rich Grant
Patriot Machine, Inc.
PB 9.0.2
NX 9.0.2.5
Win 7 Pro

Learn online

Solution Information