cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Interpolation

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Dear Group,

In some components I need to make a "TURNING INTERPOLATION" CAM Program, how to make a TURNING INTERPOLATION tool path (NX CAM Program) in NX? Similar to this Video https://youtu.be/fJzOMb32BfY

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Jerry

4 REPLIES

Re: Turning Interpolation

Genius
Genius

I do not think there is a direct method in NX CAM( till NX7.5, not sure on next versions)  to create TURNING INTERPOLATION.

What you can do is, create a milling tool path which is helical using mill tool. On the machine, you can use turning tool. To create this tool path , you need to know the 'DIAMETER' of the actual turning tool which it makes when it rotates and you need to control the helical pitch (stepover) to get the required finish bsed on spindle speed.

attached example which might be useful. It is created in NX 7.5

BR,

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator
Thank you Mak, Will try to create using milling tool path.

Would there be a direct option in NX 10?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I've dealt with this option on Okumas (called turn-cut) and U axis heads.

I create a linked turning post, then set up a lathe MCS & Geometry at the end (Centerline) of each hole being "turned".  You probably want to use section curves (rather than spun section) for geometry, you may need to make a sketch to dummy in the blank.  Or WAVE link the model in and trim it down to just the appropriate solid, so the spun section will work (maybe intersect with a cylinder solid?)

Hope this helps...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

This looks a lot like jig grinding. In a former life I used to orient the spindle in the post, using the cutcom normal vectors. Maybe you can do something similar with a hole milling or thread milling operation.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information