Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Turning MCS setup poll

For lathes & Mill-turns, I've always use the MCS ZX plane = WCS XY plane

i.e. XC = ZM

YC = XM

I believe you can also set it up that the MCS ZX plane = WCS ZX plane, so the axes match:

i.e. ZC = ZM

XC = XM

I was wondering (if you don't mind answering, and assuming your shop has lathes/mill-turns)

Which way(s) do you use?

Thanks...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

8 REPLIES

Re: Turning MCS setup poll

Maybe I should read the docs before I post (RTFM!)

I thought you could set up the WCS and MCS so the WCS axes match the MCS axes in a "horizontal" lathe (not a VTL).

But it looks like you can't?

So perhaps the first question is, CAN you set up the MCS so the WCS axes match the MCS axes? (so "Z is Z" and "X is X")?

This is for NX10, by the way...

Thanks...Ken

Ken,

Is this about the XC/YC mapping in the MCS_SPINDLE?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

that's what I got. I didn't know you could set it up the second way you mentioned, it sounds better to me to.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Mark -

Yes, this about the WCS/MCS mapping as shown in the screen images.

Every time I deal with a new user and try to explain why the WCS X is the MCS Z and WCS Y is MCS X they have a blank look on their face and ask "huh?"

I know historically its always been that way, and I'm comfortable with it, but wouldn't it make a LOT more sense (especially to new users) if X = X and Z = Z, all the time?  (with Z being the CL of the turning spindle).

I tried playing a bit and then got yanked off into other crises, but it doesn't look like I can set it up that way.  Or maybe I'm just more confused than normal (or I'm having yet another "senior moment")

Of all the NX Turning classes I have taught almost every student said they would prefer to program on the XZ plane. Thats the way lathe programmers think so it makes perfect sense. Personally I would rather program on the standard cartesian co-ordinate system xy plane, but then as an instructor I didn't have to be looking at the actual g-code and switching thought process, so I totally understand why many real nc lathe programmers want to keep xz for programming the same as xz for output. 

I would like the MCS to match the WCS as well. It is confusing for learning. Everyone else I know complains about it as well. It is almost as bad as topside cutters outputting a M3 or CW rotation.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Why is the Spindle MCS dependant on the WCS at all?

Cant the turning tool orient angle be to the MCS instead of the WCS?

Why cant we have multiple spindle orientations (ie for multiple ops)?

Unless I'm missing something MIll-Turn and multiple ops sharing the same Workpiece & Blank with the IPW updating reliably is almost impossible.

I'm not talking about passing a job to a subspindle like the Mill-Turn Tutorial.

Consider a pipe T junction with flanges that all need turning.

I agree. I struggled in the last week with a feedout (facing) head on a mill. It is bad enough to have to set up the WCS MCS (spindle) object for each orientation and with the rules as they are. I could not get multiple orientation turning profiles to be shared under a parent workpiece. It would be nice to see the effect of turning for milling and vice versa. I ended up having to revolve some new bodies for the bores I was working on. Hopefully some development is happening in this area.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Learn online

Solution Information